Making 5 gallon help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making 5 gallon help

Hi everybody need a little help, I have done a couple of wine no1s which have turned out great, (Thanks bob for a great tutorial) Now I have bought a 30 bottle Beaverdale Barolo. I have a 25l bucket which I can start in, but I don't have a 5 gallon better bottle to do a secondary, can I use 5 X 5 litre plastic DJS. Or would I be better off buying the better bottle.

Pete

You will struggle a little with 5 x 5 litre DJs, because that will give you 25 litres. A Better Bottle is 22.7 litres, ideal for a kit.

In my opinion 2 litres is a lot of water to add to make up the difference. You'll be OK whilst fermentation is underway, but once it stops you'll need to have all your containers topped up. The normal topup method is to use a wine of a similar type, but again 2 litres is a lot of bottles.

I would buy a Better Bottle - you won't regret it. Watch out though, they breed. I started with one, and last time I looked there were eight of them
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

5 X dj's would be fine, but are you planning on making further 5 gal batches?

if so, I would have a better bottle

(hobbywines will give you a discount too for being a forum member)
      Last edited by Duffbeer; 22-11-2009, 05:12 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

If you follow the Beaverdale instructions you will be racking to secondary at an sg of 1.010, no problem with a Better bottle but a bit of hassle with 5x dj's. The big problem with the dj's comes later when you add the stabaliser and finings, just how do you do that without putting everything back into a bucket. I would place a better bottle high on the priority of things to buy.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
          If you follow the Beaverdale instructions you will be racking to secondary at an sg of 1.010, no problem with a Better bottle but a bit of hassle with 5x dj's. The big problem with the dj's comes later when you add the stabaliser and finings, just how do you do that without putting everything back into a bucket. I would place a better bottle high on the priority of things to buy.
          ?????

either stir them in directly, or take a little out and mix them with the sample and then back into the main quantity ?????

something like that ????

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks for all your replies, I will buy a better bottle it is more logical now, will also come in handy for 5 gallons of wine no 1.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              ?????

either stir them in directly, or take a little out and mix them with the sample and then back into the main quantity ?????

something like that ????

regards

jtfb
              Yes John, easy if everything is in one place but dividing 1 sachet between 5 dj's isn't practical.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
                Yes John, easy if everything is in one place but dividing 1 sachet between 5 dj's isn't practical.
                no, but surely it's easy enough to dissolve it enough to make it straight forward to handle/split/etc Richard ???

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                X