Campdin Tablet & Smell Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campdin Tablet & Smell Reduction

So let me see if I have this right; a Campdin Tablet is used for sterilization uses right? They should be used when racking because the air may contaminate it. If this is correct, why do I not have to add them every time I expose the wine to air? i.e. ever time I rack and when I am testing for clarity.

Also, what can I do to reduce the odors given off by the wine as it ferments? Will sticking a cotton ball in the air lock reduce the orders? I ask because I would like to start brewing under my girlfriends lofted bedroom which has a 3' high storage area. My worry is, if I start brewing a bunch of batches then it will start to stink and she will kill me, or worse, make me stop. Thanks

Campden tablets are either Sodium Metabisulphite, or Potassium Metabusulphite, more likely the latter, commonly referred to as K-Meta. The Na-Meta or K-Meta are anti-oxidants. You can get a test kit to be sure you have enough and not too much in the wine. You can also get a gram scale and use the K-Meta powder and be real accurate with the amount and the level in your wine.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I'm afraid you can't do much to stop or mask fermentation odors. I actually love the smell. If it is smelling alot like sulphur, you need to stir and stir alot, and add more yeast nutrient.
      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

You could run a tube from your airlock into a copper containing solution. This solution could be achieved by using copper sulphate powder in solution or by adding copper metal directly to water so that its 2+ ions leach out into a solution.
        This is only an experimental idea because the concentration of copper ions may not be high enough to bind to the hydrogen sulphate bubbling through the solution.
        Still have a normal bubble trap, but run the tube from the bubble trap into the solution as a fall back should the solution gets sucked up by a change in atmospheric pressure as your fermentation slows. Beware also that copper is a heavy metal and you should avoid ingesting any from solutions. Copper sulphate powder is also an irritant.

Idea 2: Run an old hosepipe from your airlock to outside a window.

Comment

I've got 8 DJs and 2 30ltr bins fermenting in my dining room. I can't smell anything horrible in there. Either there IS little smell or my nose has got used to it. So would your girlfriend's, and I'm sure she'll love the result
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Instead of putting an air lock on the DJ, just insert tubing in the stopper and run the tubing to a place where the smell won't bother anything and place the tube end in a container of water. Hence, home made air lock.

Comment

These are all great suggestions for the closed system under an airlock. I am going to use them in the future. But what about for the fermentation part when it is supposed to be exposed to fresh air? hmmmm

Comment

It will still need covering to keep out the nasties, and that will help keep in the small amount of aroma. Give it a whirl and see what she says.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Got it

So this is what I came up with. Buy a refill cartridge from an air cleaner and cut a hole in the top of the primary to fit the cartridge. Then tape it on. This will let air flow in and out with little restriction. This will not affect the wine because of the properties of this type of filtration.

To stop the odors in the carboy from leaking run a hose from the air seal to a charcoal filter made from PVC pipe. Take the pipe and fill it with food grade carbon filter material and pack it in with a green dish scrubber to hold the material in. Then make this PVC able to attach as many hoses as you will need.

Actually, my Step Dad is a chemical engineer and he helped with this one.

Thanks for all other suggestions.

Comment

I think you could use Vasiline in the air lock
                    that seems like would neutralize any bad smells.

Also I agree with Hippie enough nutrient in the Must should stop any bad rottin egg smells If that's what your Getting, and stirring or pouring from One container to the next should also stop that smell.

You can keep a airlock On the primary you should Just stir alot .
                    You should anyways If you can If you Have a cap from Pulp for more Flavor/ color extraction.
                    This is what I think gives best results
                    Not so much stiring at one time, but stirring many times throughout the day in the primary fermentation ------ like we breath.
                    __________________________________________________ _________________________
                    There Is copper in My corn flakes that's good for me -----
                    "Jack Keller says that Hydrogen Sulfide take Weeks or Months to form"
                    http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

ABout that rottin egg smell I didn't mean that could take weeks or months to develop,
                      but I Quoted that for Hydrogen Sulfide problems, and I have Heard of ROTTIN EGGs smell disipating on it's own,
                      but I don't think hydogen sulfide would

Originally posted by muscadine
                      Instead of putting an air lock on the DJ, just insert tubing in the stopper and run the tubing to a place where the smell won't bother anything and place the tube end in a container of water. Hence, home made air lock.
                      That sound Like a good Idea.
                      Have you done that before Or is that just Being Clevor.

I MAY need "ALOT" of Airlocks, and that seems like a great Idea.

I did try to bend with No success some hard thick Plastic tubing in a U shape, but what I had was to skinny.
                      Last edited by jlsherman55; 28-04-2006, 10:37 AM.
                      http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Working...
                      X