Just a Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Thought

Sat with laptop on lap (where else) watching Columbo testing one or two of my brews, when I suddenly thought that if a starter bottle is chilled in the fridge, or the DJ is to cold, then the yeast become dormant and will only return to life when brought up to the correct temperature for fermentation.

If wine or that starter bottle is subjected to too much heat for instance in an airing cupboard does this not render the yeast inactive, in fact kill it off. So could this method be used stabilise a wine.

I know that there are proper tried and tested methods in wine making and I try to brew only by using them and the recommendations on this site though I have been known to look at others.
    So can anyone tell me why heat is not used to stabilise wine. (a bit sad I know but since I retired too much time on hands) all wine chores up to date.
    Terry

Originally posted by alcopop View Post
    Sat with laptop on lap (where else) watching Columbo testing one or two of my brews, when I suddenly thought that if a starter bottle is chilled in the fridge, or the DJ is to cold, then the yeast become dormant and will only return to life when brought up to the correct temperature for fermentation.

If wine or that starter bottle is subjected to too much heat for instance in an airing cupboard does this not render the yeast inactive, in fact kill it off. So could this method be used stabilise a wine.

I know that there are proper tried and tested methods in wine making and I try to brew only by using them and the recommendations on this site though I have been known to look at others.
    So can anyone tell me why heat is not used to stabilise wine. (a bit sad I know but since I retired too much time on hands) all wine chores up to date.
    Terry
    because when you heat it, the first thing that evaporates off like steam is the alcohol!

Of course, and airing cupboard wouldn't get it hot enough to do that, like would be the case if done on the cooker, but I'd suspect it could still cause it to evaporate quicker than might otherwise be the case.

Think about making mulled wine. Why do you think that most of the recipes include brandy? for the added flavour but also to replace some of the lost alcohol that will have disappeared from the original wine during the heating..

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

So can anyone tell me why heat is not used to stabilise wine.Terry
      Are you talking about pasteurization or something else?

One of my favorite winemaking books is "Techniques in Home Winemaking" by Daniel Pambianchi. In it, he discusses using pasteurization for the purpose of preventing renewed fermentation in sweet dessert wines.

Heat is also used for making cordials such as Madeira and Sherry. These wines are heated for months at a time in a device known as an estufa. The process lends a "cooked" sort of quality.

But for most table wines, heat just destroys subtle flavors. For example, you can certainly taste the difference between apple juice that comes straight from the press, as opposed to the pasteurized product found on the grocer's shelves.
      Steve

Comment

Thanks for that FB and Steve I will try not to ask such questions without thinking first, a case of engage brain before fingers.
        Steve have you looked at the pricing on Amazon something seems to be wrong???

Comment

Well... the Amazon price looks wrong for me because it's in pounds, and not dollars.

But otherwise, £15.73 seems right.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks for that FB and Steve I will try not to ask such questions without thinking first, a case of engage brain before fingers.
            Steve have you looked at the pricing on Amazon something seems to be wrong???

No, ask away. It is a valid question, as are the answers
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

exactly........

questions are ALWAYS good

N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
              X