Filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter question

Just clearing a mixed fruit wine and i can't remember if you filter the wine before sweetening to taste or not
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

filtering is the last stage before bottling in my opinion, sweetening "could" cause a sediment to drop.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks bob

Comment

since we are talking filtering, i recently bought a harris wine filter. seems to work well but the filter papers are expensive.

so i bought a pack of filter papers on ebay that are made for chemical filtering i think and are far cheaper than harris filter papers.

see 'Whatman Filter Papers, Grade 42 Circles, 150mm, 100/pk'

these are 2.5um and i think wine filters are normally about 1um so we'll see how well they work. maybe use these as a pre filter so the harris filters last longer. i'm also toying with the idea of making a centrifuge!

Comment

I wouldn't use a centrifuge, as you risk taking more than you want to from the wine.

When filtering if you make sure the wine is completely clear before you filter, you will get more wine through a set of pads. As filtering is for final polishing, not to clear the wine.

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

As I have said before in another post I always get 4-5 galls through 1 pad, in fact I save up that amount then put them through from the lightest white to the darkest red.

Terry

Comment

I find that one pad is ample for 1 gallon of wine

Comment

you should be able to get at least 5 gallons through 1 pad, and if the wine is really clear you can filter 10 gallons through it.

it really is important that the wine is clear before filtering.

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                X