Weighing fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing fruit

This is probably a very silly question but when weighing fruit does it make a difference if it is frozen (I.e weigh more)
    Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

I THINK the difference should be negligible. I think .....
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

It wont matter, the difference (as Pete says) is negligible
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

the weight of the fruit wont change, tho the density may as its mostly water and water expands when it freezes.

the freezer ice that accumulates around whatever frozen fruit is contained within will add to its weight tho, as well as the container. Altogether these things will very little difference, but if you are a stickler for detailed records then you'll want to tip your fruit out of the container/wrapping before weighing it.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

To be honest, I weigh the fruit BEFORE I freeze it.
          Then I write, how much in weight, is in the bag.
          I cant be doing with the faff of weighing frozen fruit when I want to get a wine started
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

i weighed my damsons in 2lb bags and they weigh the same when frozen so it dont make any difference

Comment

Thanks everyone, think next time i will use my noddle and weigh the fruit before i freeze it lol
              Cad Drawings: www.draughting-solutions.com

Comment

and then write the weights on your fruit - i have to get a marker for this as the thin lines made by a ball-point soon got obscured by the ice.

oh and i like that expression
                "there's no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers"
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

I've always frozen every fruit in 3 lb blocks (before stoning for plums, etc.) as then I can use in multiples of 8 ozs/gall when I use to make 6 gall batches.

The exception being elderberries, which I have frozen in 'flatish' 2lb slabs so they can be easily cut into even smaller amounts/gall.
                  My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Working...
                  X