Wispy, smoky haziness in Strawberry and Blueberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wispy, smoky haziness in Strawberry and Blueberry

Edited after closer examination of the wine.

I bottled some Strawberry and Blueberry wine in October. It was made in May and is frankly really nice aperitif wine. Based largely on Bob's Strawberry No2 recipe. Since bottling, which was done after filtering with my trusty Harris filter, it has developed a haziness/sediment. There is a really fine sediment that I would describe as suspended smoke within the wine which moves about as you move the bottle. The taste is still lovely and improving. There is no residual CO2. I made a gallon of the stuff and have 5 bottles remaining. 2 tsp of pectolase went in at the beginning but I did pour boiling water on the fruit. Since reading Bob's recent posts I don't think I'll do that again though from memory the recipe did state it. I have tried running a bit through a coffee filter paper just to see and there is defintiely a very fine sediment left behind. This doesn't completely clear it. Any ideas why bottle sediment should form so quickly and even after filtering? This is a real shame and I feel really sorry for Duffbeer who would have got some otherwise in the wine swap.
    Last edited by SiSandrine; 30-12-2009, 08:26 PM.
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

It is possible for this to happen, however, simply rack the clear wine from off the sediment and you will be fine, or indeed filter it again, or just pour carefully into a jug, leaving the sediment behind.

I think maybe you filtered and bottled a tad early is all....
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

OK - agreed that would seem worth a go. The sediment is so fine that it stays suspended almost in solution. Do you reckon it's worth transferring all back into a DJ and adding some fining e.g. bentonite. I fined with egg white first time round? It might as you say just be a bit of further time in the DJ.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

you only have 5 bottles you said? (if I remember right)

I wouldn't add any more finings, just allow the bottles to sit till the sediment settles again (24 to 36 hours should do it, gravity is a wonderful thing), and carefully rack to a new bottle. you will likely end up with 4.75 bottles so top up the 4 and drink the not full one

I think that should cure it .....

hope that helps
        regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X