a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions

1, i know its ok to sweeten wine after fermenting but is it ok to adjust other levels like acid /tannin ect to suite the winemakers taste after fermenting whilst in the racking and clearing stages ?

2, when i order some gear im wanting something to test acid levels.. iv seen two types i could go with , test strips and a little kit with some chemicals. which is better ?

3, what acids should i buy.. id rather get a few than have to re order at a later date.

4, i did some reading re testing ph and was taken to a chart plotting various fruits acids.. i think grape contained tannic acid, so would this be the acid used to increase levels in a wine of that particular fruit or would it be a different one as to not overpower the wine with a certain acid ? ..

i know these may be a bit too indepth to reply here but im just throwing the ball around so to speak till i order a few books..

billy

billy

Those questions sound good to me, as I would like to know the answers to some of those as well

Terry

Comment

1, i know its ok to sweeten wine after fermenting but is it ok to adjust other levels like acid /tannin ect to suite the winemakers taste after fermenting whilst in the racking and clearing stages ?

It's always advisable to make the bulk of your adjustments before fermentation because they will integrate better into the finished wine. But you can make adjustments afterwards, too. Acid additions are straightforward. If you are making a grape wine, then tartaric acid is what you should use. Wine made from other fruits can use a commercial blend of various acids. Blends usually contain varying amounts of tartaric, malic, and (to a lesser percentage) citric acid. Tannin additions aren't quite as simple, as tannin doesn't dissolve readily into finished wine. Some enological tannin preparations can be used post-ferm.

2, when i order some gear im wanting something to test acid levels.. iv seen two types i could go with , test strips and a little kit with some chemicals. which is better ?

Test strips are highly inaccurate. For accurate measurements, you're better off with a titration type kit.

3, what acids should i buy.. id rather get a few than have to re order at a later date.

It depends upon the type of wines you make. If you make only grape wine, then tartaric acid is recommended. For most other fruit/country wines, you can use an acid blend.

4, i did some reading re testing ph and was taken to a chart plotting various fruits acids.. i think grape contained tannic acid, so would this be the acid used to increase levels in a wine of that particular fruit or would it be a different one as to not overpower the wine with a certain acid ? ..

See my answer to question 3.
      Steve

Comment

for acid testing, as Steve says, the test strips are next to useless....

buy a Ritchies acid test kit (£5 to £6)

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X