Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentonite as an anti-histomine

Happy New Year everyone,

I was talking to someone over the Christmas break who claimed that bentonite acted as an anti-histomine and therefore wines fined with bentonite did not give you "wine headaches". Now, this sounds like a lot of tosh to me but I wasn't sure of my facts as I am not a sufferer. Anyone else heard this?
    Just like to point out as well, that in my experience there is no difference between red and white wines as far as headaches go. If you drink enough of either than a headavhe is sure to follow.
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

There just might be something to that theory. It's been suggested that histamines are the primary headache causing substance in wine. Bentonite removes microscopic protein particles from wine, and histamines are proteins. Bentonite is also used more frequently when making white wines than red. Since white wines are thought to cause fewer headaches than reds in people with sensitivities, it's at least plausible that bentonite may be a factor.
    Steve

Comment

hangovers come from too much alcohol (and their breakdown products) and dehydration. Headaches are often due to dehydration (even if no alcohol is involved) ... so that glass of water that you swig with your pill is probably having a noticeable effect. Try it when you feel the start of a headache, big glass of water, within minutes headache gone.

Other things may worsen a hangover/headache, and different people are different of course. So what Steve and your mate and the bloke down the pub says may all play their part. but alcohol is the biggest villain.

Oh and then there's Bob's theory about sleep being the problem cos you felt fine before you went to bed. This is bound to be right so ignore all the science and other theories
      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

I believe what SiSandrine is referring to are "red wine headaches," not hangovers. Some individuals appear to be sensitive to compounds in red wines that cause migraine headaches and nausea. Unlike hangovers, RWH happens within an hour after downing as little as a single glass of red wine. White wine doesn't seem to cause the problem in these individuals.

More info here:
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          I believe what SiSandrine is referring to are "red wine headaches," not hangovers. Some individuals appear to be sensitive to compounds in red wines that cause migraine headaches and nausea. Unlike hangovers, RWH happens within an hour after downing as little as a single glass of red wine. White wine doesn't seem to cause the problem in these individuals.
          cool, wrong end of the stick moment yup, there's a number of ingredients that do that. i believe some folks who suffer from this keep a record of what wines do this to them, and that sometimes the problem is fairly tightly constrained so that they can usually find a 'brand' that works for them. Seems like it can be a real trial and error thing .. and an ordeal at that. Sorry to hear we have a sufferer from that.
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Not a RWH sufferer per se, however I was talking to a wine maker who claimed adding bentonite stopped the RWH. I like the idea but am sceptical. Assuming for the moment that it is histamine which causes the headache, for me there are a couple of tests, is it Bentonite that means white wines have fewer histamines or are there significantly fewer naturally? How much of the histamine is removed by the bentonite? Has anyone done a trial with benotnite on red wine with RWH sufferers?
            By the way does anyone know if RWH is for grape based wines only or do elderberry and other fruit based wines also cause this?
            Should state this is curiosity factor only, not looking for a medical breakthrough.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

SiSandrine you make an interesting point.I do not have science behind me but I do get customers tell me that they can drink my kit wines and get headaches from the commercial ones. With that I also have customers that drink only unoaked white as they get a headache from anything else. there may be a small grain of truth to this but I wonder if the amounts would be that significant.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary
                Hmmm, it has long been my opinion that it was the tannins in red wines that caused the headaches, also obviously the alcohol poisoning and dehydration.
                This is usually the truth tannins are the most likely culprit. Oak also puts tannins in to wine that is why with whites some people can't drink the oaked ones.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Here's my tuppence... 'cos this is a subject very close to my heart (and my head hoho)

I don't know what it is, however I suspect it is something to with the cocktail of permissible additives in commercial wine that gives the 'axe in the head' feeling. And trust me - permissible additives is quite a big list.

I base this on the following evidence - I have had the following conversation many many times with people.
                  "I don't drink red wine"
                  'why'
                  "Gives me a headache"
                  'Mine won't - 'cos there nothing in it AT ALL other that grapes, yeast and a bit of sulphite (pot-met 50ppm)'
                  ....later
                  "You were spot on - I didn't get a headache "

This has a 100% success rate (so far).

.. and I also think dehydration plays a part in it, but there is a link to the type of alcohol wine/beer/spirit. I know people who can drink a lot of red wine (3-4 bottles) and not get hangover - don't get me wrong they know they have been drinking in the morning, but don't get 'axe in head' feeling.....

There's more...
                  My best cure is a pint of ribena (un-fermented) and a banana - is it something to do with a mineral deficiency caused by excessive alcohol intake? Banana's are known to be high in potassium ?

Brian
                  Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 14-01-2010, 08:36 AM.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

must say have simular results, commercial wine gives me headaches home wines do not.

Others who have over indulged on my wines have commented on the lack of headaches.

Comment

Working...
                    X