Is it worth racking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth racking.

OK in general yes of course. However a specific question: I have a WN1 on the go. It got a bit stuck (due to cold temperatures) - Basingstoke being one of the coldest parts of the kingdom - I brought it into the warm and this seemed to kick it off again. I also added some bentonite at this stage. I have always added at the later stages for final clearing previously so would like some clarification (excuse the pun). After 7 days, progression is good and there is lots of sediment now forming. The wine though is still opaque and milky in colour. Do you reckon its worth racking or leaving or leaving a few more days? I waited with a grape wine last October and had sulphur odours to deal with which I drove off eventually.
    Also - if I rack (as I am tempted) is it standard to add more fining material?

Cheers
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

I would rack and top up, leaving the original fining's to finish the job. Only adding more fining's if it proves necessary

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

OK - thanks Bob, i'll give it a go.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
      X