side effects of wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side effects of wine

not sure if this is an issue with wine.. before i joined the site i had already got a wine on the go using only red grape juice. ferm dry and then sweetened with a mix of splenda and grape juice.

when i bottled some were better than the others , anyhow i tried my last bottle the other night which had been stood for maybe a month.. tasted ok but i have had a bad stomach.. seems this is the case after drinking it..

i stopped ferm at around 1000 but it was still fermenting very slowly . as it was my first impatience got the better of me..

any thoughts..

billy

It is VERY difficult to stop an active fermentation....no matter what you do.

Ignore anyone who tells you that you can stop fermentation using sorbate and sulphite, it doesn't always work........

Always better to ferment to dry, then stabilise, then sweeten, and then allow time to be sure ferment hasn't started up again.......only then should you bottle it, or you risk exploding bottles which of course are HUGELY dangerous.

I suspect you have had a reaction to drinking stuff that is probably still fermenting, it wont harm you, just give you a bit of a gippy tummy
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

cheers for that . i did notice an ever so slight hiss and i mean ever do slight on one or two bottles.. maybe it was that. as i say it was my very first wine and i was impatient. i have a couple more on the go nearing finishing so i will make sure they have finished before i do anything to them..

the mrs said i dont need any help having bad guts

billy

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
        the mrs said i dont need any help having bad guts
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

sometimes it's an easy mistake to generalise from a specific. So with that in mind i'll emphasise that i'm not disagreeing with the advice given, but offering a reassuring note for the future.

if, like me, you bulk store your wine and only bottle when its ready to drink then you will likely be drinking your wine soon after its bottled. So that little airspace in the neck of your bottle that got compressed when you corked it will still be compressed. And you'll get an ever so slight hiss when you open. I notice it it when opening a bottle that has been sealed within days or weeks. oh i use one of those two pronged bottle openers, the ones that slide down each side of the cork. great bottle openers that dont damage the cork and make a very good job of opening bottles with soft, crumbly, partially pushed in or otherwise damaged corks. they also re-cork opened bottles excellently. When the longer prong reaches the end of the cork is when i hear the hiss. you may not notice it with a cork screw tho.
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

ok cheers, noted for future ref.. these first bottles were in screw top bottles ( old cider bottles) as i didnt have any wine making equipment to speak off and the wine was a "stab in the dark" attempt running off from trying to make turbo cider.. ( god its horrid).

my wines now are at 990 and seem to of taken longer than my first attemp so i may not of let ferm finish completely on the first go..

you know what its like first time waiting for it to ferm .. like a watched phone never rings a watched hydrometer seems to go backwards after a while

taking my time now

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
              you know what its like first time waiting for it to ferm .. like a watched phone never rings a watched hydrometer seems to go backwards after a while
              as long ago as it was i do remember waiting on my first ferment ... and the nice thing is that i still enjoy the 'bloop bloop bloop' of the airlocks just as much now as i did then
              To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
              A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

to us newcomers its like someone saying " well,that bits right"

mind you when both were vigerously bubbling away in the corner of the living room it sounded like there was an old BSA on tickover in the room.

got to go and check the hydrometer , its been 2 hours

billy

Comment

[QUOTE=bill;66701got to go and check the hydrometer , its been 2 hours
                  [/QUOTE]

The solution is simple. Get LOTS more wine started. You'll be so busy you won't have time to worry about how it is progressing
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

hehe nice solution Pete, one of the problems i had as a new brewer was what to brew ... so much to choose from, so many experiments with favourite fruits etc that i wanted to try. hmmm i still have that problem! And the other major problem was wanting to know that i could do it before launching into multiple or big batches. If i was starting all over again, with this forum to guide me, then i reckon i would get a big batch of wine number 1 on the go. i'll be doing my first batch of that shortly lol! As it happens i still love doing my first brew ... "orange" wine inspired by CJJ Berry's recipe ... easy clearing, quick drinking, hands on - as in no cartons etc. But despite never having tried it i would still say wine number 1 is the way to go.

happy brewing

Comment

I am one of those sad gits who get way to involved in something that takes my fancy. from VW cars to fly fishing to home brew. I read way too much and try to learn what i can as fast as i can. now with experience i can fix my beetle and van,never use agarage as dont trust them. so i started home brew aug 2008 and read all i could joined this forum and have prob read every post. with close on 60 dj and 2 better bottles and 2 ex water coolers. finally some wines are getting to be good. so many made last year were drunk too early some were yuk and nearly chucked ( tinned strawberry) but after a time became good. elderberry from 2008 is now ok. patience is the best thing to learn, or in my case make so much some has to last. biggest post yet
                      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X