Yeast starter times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast starter times?

Why do the yeasts I've bought all state about 20 minutes 'starting' and state on the packets not to exceed the time stated?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

I assume you mean hydration times, right?

When you add yeast to warm water, it takes 15-20 minutes for them to fully rehydrate and "wake up." After that, they need food. If no food is available, they begin to shut down.

You can extend hydration time by adding a pinch of sugar or some of your juice/must to the water.
    Steve

Comment

Yep.

I do that anyway, not rehydrated a yeast in just water.

Comment

The other factor is the water temperature. Gervin recommend 35c, Lalvin 40-43c. This is right for rehydration, but will kill the yeast if left too long.

In fact, I hjave just read something which recommends stepwise cooling for the rehydrated yeast (i.e. don't pour rehydrated yeast at 40c into must at 20c - firstly add a bit of must to drop it to 30c, then after a short delay pitch it into your must).
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

is there any advantage to making a starter rather than just dropping the yeast in the fermenter? apart from you know its under way

billy

Comment

I think the theory is the yeast multiply faster in the starter therefore when added to the must they get fermentation underway faster meaning the must is protected by a layer of CO2 quicker than it would be if you just added it to the must. If I'm wrong... it's just good practice

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
              is there any advantage to making a starter rather than just dropping the yeast in the fermenter? apart from you know its under way

billy
              There are many advantages...one you identified is that you know you are pitching a viable colony, the most important advantage is that you know you have a large active colony of yeast, and if you get the yeast hydrated, you can then introduce some of the must to acclimatise the yeasties to their new environment giving you a better start to your fermentation.

have you read the yeast starters tutorial....you will find it here
              All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

i havnt read as yet but will do. up till now i have just dropped the yeast in ( bad practice from the tc making)..

cheers

Comment

Just dropping the yeast in will work, almost all of the time, but using yeast starters is a far superior method, It also means you can use one sachet of yeast for several weeks/months of winemaking (see tutorial)
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

On a side note... I thought cold temperatures were meant to almost stop yeast. Bearing in mind it's what, 2 degrees outside?

I put the slops from lychee, xmas pudding & a cranberry must into a bucket to dispose of and put it outside.

I haven't got round to binning it yet, but on checking today it's still fermenting?

Comment

2 degrees C? That's probably not cold enough. If you have any snow left, try mounding some around your container.

The type of yeast makes a big difference when trying to stop fermentation. Some aren't very cold tolerant. I use a yeast called "cotes des blanc" that will stop dead at about 4 C. Most others, though, won't stop until they hit -1 or colder.
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X