Bladder press mystery - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder press mystery - please help!

Some of you may remember I am after a new press. And someone keep tellin' me how good the bladder presses are.

Now I know this sounds like a daft question, but does the stated capacity allow for the bladder in the middle.

Reason I ask is the maths do not add up.

Speidel
    90 litres (420mm diameter x 580mm) = 80387 cm3 [80.3 Litres]
    And this is just the volume of the cylinder with no allowance for the space taken up by a deflated bladder.

My basket
    100 litres (460mm diameter x 610mm) = 101416 cm3 [101 Litres ]

If you just look at the dimensions, you will see my basket is bigger and it does not have a big lump of bladder in it!

All volumes calculated at http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/...ndervolume.php

This probably seems a bit petty but the usable volume [100 L] I have is ideal for the work I give it.
    However I get the distinct feeling the usable volume of a Speidel 90l is going to be about half what I have at the moment. (i guess, 80L -1/3 for the baldder = 53 litres)

So I am going to spend a lot of money, buy a quicker press, but have to run it twice as often = no gain and big hole in pocket!

Is it me?

Someone.... please point out the flaw in my maths?

I am beginning to think this is a 'bit of a fib' on the manufacturers part.

Brian.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Having used Bob's bladder press, it's very good. Not sure I could spend that sort of money on one or not. I probably would as I like toys/gadgets.. It seem to give a very consistent press for the same water pressure.

Why are you thinking of changing yours? (if it meets your needs spot on?)

I've got myself a slightly larger screw press for this year, having used an old boots press for the last couple of years. I'm hoping that it'll do each batch in one go, rather than 3 or 4 presses. The Boots press is still ideal for Lychee wine, as it fits 5 gallons worth in one press.

Comment

Why am I changing? good question really.

Here goes....
      1. Basket press has a one hour cycle time.
      2. Is hard work
      3. lower extraction rate
      4. needs two people to operate (really)
      5. is getting old

But does the job very well I here you cry....

Brian
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X