wine sweetness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine sweetness

hi, i have a wine #1 and #2 near finishing , now im going to make these by the book just so i have made them as they should be for the experience..

i don't think im going to be a lover of dry wines but i still have a lot of tasting of wines to do so im not set on that thought.

ok, my two site wines.

i had a sneak taste of my #2 as its at 1030 , its very very nice albeit very slightly too sweet , i recon 1020 would be good.

my #1 is at 1010 and as is now tastes very good.

im going to let these ferm dry as per instructions and maybe backsweeten if i want them sweeter in due course..

i'm going to make another couple of batches and pick a yeast knowing its alcohol limit and feed sugar till the yeasties die leaving the sugar remaining hopefully judging it right so i end up with the correct sweetness..

whats this process called ?

bob mentioned it in the recipe prep thread recently..

billy

Sugar feeding.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing this with Wine No.1 and 2. They are light table wines, and 11 or 12% alcohol is about right. If you sugar-feed, you'll take them to 14 or 15%, and they'll taste like rocket fuel.

If you want them a bit sweeter, I would recommend fermenting to dry (i.e. fermentation has ceased of its own accord), stabilising the wine with sorbate and sulphite, then sweeten to taste.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

ok cheers.. im thinking if i do decide to sweeten im not sure if adding grape juice will ruin the now pleasant and seemingly balanced flavour. #2 im talking about.

would a sugar syrup be better so as not to change the taste too much or " proper" wine sweetener available from the HB shops..

billy

Comment

With #1 wine I dissolve 1 to 2oz of suger into it plus 1tsp of glycerin after fermenting to dry.

#2 I bring up to about 1.004 with just suger (about 5 to 6oz)
        Last edited by wurzel; 27-01-2010, 08:30 PM.
        Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Working...
        X