wine no 1 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine no 1 help

1 of my wine no 1 s has stopped bubbling it is 48 hours old and the grav is 180 , whats the best way to get it going again.

The gravity is still at 1.080?
    what did it start at?
    What yeast are you using?
    What temperature is it/was it at?

Was it going ok till it stopped?

The best way to get it going would be to make a starter and treat it as a stuck fermentation. There is a guide to that on the forum, I'll have aquick look..

Comment

Comment

i would also ensure that the temperature is correct, that yeast nutrient was used at the correct amount and that the yeast have enough oxygen before going to the trouble of restarting.

If these fail then re-start simply because restarting can be a pita if it's only one of the above that needs doing
        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Have moved thread to General Winemaking area.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Funkaduck View Post
            1 of my wine no 1 s has stopped bubbling it is 48 hours old and the grav is 180 , whats the best way to get it going again.
            What makes you sure it has stopped fermenting ? it may have just slowed down to a calmer ferment or co2 could be escaping past the airlock, without checking over a 2 to 3 day period with a hydrometer it's impossible to know for sure.
            It is highly unlikely that a healthy ferment would cease so early unless it has become too cold, too hot or the starting gravity was extreemely high and the yeast has become suffocated.
            Keep checking the gravity for a day or two, a good stir to airate will help & ensure the airlock and bung are well sealed.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

thank for the replies dudes I did not check the grav when I first started it the yeast ime using is youngs all purpose white the packet dose 5 gallons so the packet has been open for a week befor i used it willl that make a diferance I have had no frothing just a few bubbels thanks for the link Rich but it says I need high alcohol tolerant yeast is the youngs one ok

Comment

I am no way one to preach as I have some very slack habbits at times (lack of notetaking mainly). BUT, you really ought to take your starting gravity when you make the must up and it's at the correct temperature (SG varies on temp, I've been caught out with that one before) (Post #3 of the wine #1 tutorial).
                The yeast likes a starting sg of around 1.080, which should also give you a decent amount of alcohol in the finished product.

Have you kept notes of your recipe? how much sugar and juice did you add?

As Duffbeer has said already, check the sg over a few days. Lack of bubbles, either on the surface or through the airlock aren't signs of no fermentation. The only way to tell is a lack of sg drop over 3 to 4 days.

If it were mine, and I was confident I'd done everything as per the tutorial, I'd give it a good stir to oxygenate it and leave it somewhere warmish (NOT in an airing cupboard) about 20 degrees C is fine. Check the sg now, and in 3 days or so time.

Might be a little early in asking, but fancy some grapes in September?
                Last edited by Rich; 30-01-2010, 07:22 PM. Reason: speelling

Comment

" Might be a little early in asking, but fancy some grapes in September? " YES defo I want red ones could I also get a cutting of a vine from you, Aberdeen is a lot closer then France LOL I will pm you my phone number . I followed the recipe exactly Ive been making wine no 1 for about a year now with no variations , thats why i didna check the grav because this is the 1st time its not fermented vigarisly 1st problem Ive had with it the only difference is it has been a bit cold lately , I got no central heating I use a cold frame heater for plants on the kitchen worktop, but me kid broke me thermometer the other day gonna get a new one one Monday, It is still bubbling but very very slowly

Comment

The grapes would be at Grapefest 2010 but we did ask 'Cellarrats' transport guy about bringing some further up country. Not sure on what will be happening till much nearer the time.

You'd be lucky getting any grapevine cuttings from me, I palmed my grapevines off onto Goldseal before I moved up here. I'm already planning the trip to Hereford in 2013 for the the first real harvest.

Comment

I will save cuttings from my prunings this year, and plant a lot of them, so there "may" be some rooted cuttings available at grapefest.
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I want to go to this grapefest when and wear is it , Rich maybe we can shair petrol costs or if there is anyone else up hear in the north east of Scotland wants to go I will drive my car the wine is working it just dosent look like it is its gone down from 1080 to 1075 in 24 hours

Comment

Grapefest is near Pontefract, Yorkshire.
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by Funkaduck View Post
                            I want to go to this grapefest when and wear is it , Rich maybe we can shair petrol costs or if there is anyone else up hear in the north east of Scotland wants to go I will drive my car the wine is working it just dosent look like it is its gone down from 1080 to 1075 in 24 hours
                            Aye.. As Pete said.. it's miles away.

My neighbour will also be going, Brian, we went '09 from Aberdeen. I had a Xsara estate at the time, and it came home on the bump stops with 30+ gallons of wine and supplies in the back We are thinking of either hiring a transit this year or getting the grapes delivered. not sure what could happen yet. Personally I'd prefer going down to Bob's house for the night this time for the social side of it all

Comment

You are all welcome to bring sleeping bags/tents or just have some floor space

open house at grapefest
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X