Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just racked my #2 wine.. i added the sulphite and stabiliser then realised i hadn't de gassed.. i de gassed and have sat to clear, will this make any difference adding the stabiliser/sulphite just before i de gassed as apposed to just after..

billy

Off to read the #2 recipe now..

But, sulphite and stabiliser? what is the stabiliser?

Comment

... probably potassium sorbate.

By adding the sulphite before degassing, you might blow some off if you are degassing by shaking.

It probably won't make a lot of difference unless you are planning to keep it for a year or more.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        today S.G at 0.990 so time to move to next stage which is to degass and stabilise, in order for us to be able to sweeten this wine we will have to use the potassium Sorbate in conjunction with the sulphite, we need to add sulphite when we use sorbate or else we will end up with a geranium smell.

Always check the directions on the tub, for they are all different, this one needs 1/2 tsp per gallon.

so we are degassed, and stabilised, we will sweeten after 24 hours, to allow the sorbate to be distributed evenly, we will stir a couple of times in this 24 hour period

sweetening Will be by adding grape juice, to get the S.G to around 1.004, but we could use sugar syrup, or even non fermentable sugars (in which case you wouldn't need the sorbate) not topped up at this point, to leave room for the grape juice
        You should be ok degassing after additions, but always better to degas first.

it "may" drop some more sediment after the degassing, so dont bottle yet, wait a couple of days and check for sediment.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X