fruit additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruit additions

i was wondering about this idea as im only brewing in DJ's at the moment till i get knowledgable enough to go bigger scale.

i wanted to make a wine using some real fruit, i have 2 750g bags of frozen fruit ( summer fruits and a raspberry ) now if using a bucket i could add the fruit and strain off or have it in a mesh bag but its a bit harder in a dj..

i was wondering if i could start a brew off in a dj using grape juice , with the level of liquid say at the shoulder , from my understanding this will be ok ferm wise due to the blanket of gas above the liquid not allowing air to it.

ferm to say 1020

addition of the fruit would be .... put the fruit in hot water and extract the juices ,strain and then top the dj up to the top with the juice and finish ferm..

this is to use ingredients i have in the house and its to get another brew under way..

was thinking for a rose'

1L aj
    2L white grape juice
    1 lb sugar ( or enough to get SG to 1070 ) i thought this figure as the fruit will add extra sugars later , not sure if my thinking is correct.
    1/4 tannin
    1 tsp pectolase
    1 tsp citric acid
    water to shoulder of dj

any thoughts

billy

Originally posted by bill View Post
    addition of the fruit would be .... put the fruit in hot water and extract the juices ,strain and then top the dj up to the top with the juice and finish ferm..
    adding the fruit late would be fine, but i wouldnt use the hot water method you outline, you wont get as much from the fruit.

I would ferment to 1.030 and then add the fruit, but i would use the fruit pulp.....

when ferment reaches 1.000 remove the pulp and top up with grape juice (maybe red if you havent got enough colour already).....

then ferment to dry and stabilise and sweeten to taste.

this will give you more fruitiness.

hope this helps
    regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I would invest in a 10 litre bucket
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks for that, yes i need a 10l bucket, my brother in law is going to have a go and is ordering some gear wednesday so i will order one then.. cheers for the help..

billy

Comment

Working...
        X