birch sap wine recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birch sap wine recipe

hi all very new to the forums so i hope this goes right if not iam sorry.
    i have this recipe for birch sap wine but there is no campden tablet or pectolase added i was wondering if there is anyone out there could give me advise on to add or not to add. ta

1 gallon birch sap
    white wine concentrate
    2.5lbs sugar
    .5 oz citric acid
    tannin
    yeast nutrients
    yeast

Go on then, i'll have a stab at it. Although I there are more experienced people who may be of more help.

First off, yes, add a campden tablet and pectolase, not right sure if you'll need the pectolase or not but add it anyway, it wont do any harm, but it'll be a bugger if you have to add it later as you'll have to use more.

How much are you trying to make? Cause if you start off with a gallon of birch sap you're going to be well over that after you've added everything. Instead go with enough ingredients to make the quantity you want, whether that be 1 gallon or two etc..

How much white grape concentrate (assuming that's what the white wine concentrate is) does it say to use?

Rather than add an arbitrary figure of 2.5lbs of sugar, instead make a sugar syrup and then add enough to take the SG to 1.080. I have no idea how much natural sugar Birch sap will contain but I would imagine it will vary from season to season and from tree to tree.

.5oz (three tsp i think?) of citric acid seems a lot to me, unless you're going for a sweet wine at the end? Instead add to taste, start at one teaspoon and go from there. Your tastes maybe different to others, whilst what you add might not be to others tastes im assuming you're making it for your consumption.

Tannin, really not a clue on this one, there should be a forager around somewhere to offer advice, same with the type of yeast to use.

As for yeast nutrient go with the instructions on the packet.

HTH

Ric
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

I would say it will be OK without both, but other folks will be along soon.

I have a 1953 recipe from Mary Aylett's Country Wines book if you are interested. Although I must say there is a bit of boiling and a 3 month wait involved.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

i'd use campden too, something could get into the sap while you are collecting it, or be in the container already and waiting for something yummy to eat. I'm sure i read somewhere on WaH that campden also improves wine when added at the start (please correct me if i'm wrong cos i now do this as a matter of course for anything that doesn't come in a carton).

Pectolase, no idea on that one, but as has been said its good to add if in doubt because it works way better as prevention than cure, and won't do any harm. but you may save a few pence if someone who knows drops by.
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

ta very much for the advise it says to add 250ml of the white wine concentrate.

Comment

Working...
          X