Wine No 1 stuck, can i mix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine No 1 stuck, can i mix it?

I know this has probably been asked loads of times but i would like to know how do i go about mixing my stuck 1020 wine with another to save wasting it.

Do i mix it with a "new" wine i am about to start?

Do i mix it with a finished wine?

I think the stuck was caused by drop in temp when sorting out my house. I have tried a few thing to get it going but all have failed.

Cheers Mal

first of all are you sure its stuck? perhaps its finished?

if it is stuck then i would restart it rather than mix it (cos i know nowt about that!). a friend of mine had a stuck ferment late last year, i took around a packet of sauternes yeast (should find it in your HBS, Ritchies amongst others make it). we chucked in a crushed campden tablet, left it overnight, then added the yeast. everything picked up after that.

I don't know what else you've tried, good sloshing about stir to get some oxygen dissolved etc? anyway, that's my pennies worth.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by mctoon View Post
      I have tried a few thing to get it going but all have failed.
      Best thing to do is to try to get the ferment in this wine to finish......

look at the stuck ferment tutorial and follow the instructions there.

Again many thanks to Pat Cuthbert (moderator Winepress.US and all round good guy!) Every once in a while the unexpected will happen, and fermentation will stall or stick. It is frustrating when it does as it throws our plans off track. There are several reasons why a fermentation will stick, and if you are watching for

what was the start SG
      what yeast did you use

what have you tried so far?

if it is a temp thing, then warming it back up and keeping it warm (heat mat or brew belt) will help, give it a good stir and perhaps add a little nurtient
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-03-2010, 01:29 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The reason for restart rather than mixing is this:

if the wine has stuck, there are live yeast cells in there, mixing it with another wine will probably cause problems as this wine isnt stable.

people think that adding sorbate kills yeast cells.....it doesnt, it merely stuns them, and stops budding (birth of new yeast cells) so any yeasties in there will become active again given the right conditions, so referment could take place in the bottle.

it could be yor yeast expired due to alc level reaching tolerance of yeast (hence question re start SG)

or the yeast may not be up to the job (hence yeast question)

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Cheers Bob.

I have added some more Tronom,,,,,nutrient and gave it a good shake.
          The yeast was a gervin D and sg 1090

Its next to a radiator now so i will try a rehydrated yeast and leave it

Comment

a sloshy stir rather than a shake is what is needed.
            shaking will degas your wine, a sloshy stir will dissolve gasses. it's the latter you may require.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by mctoon View Post

Its next to a radiator now so i will try a rehydrated yeast and leave it
              adding new yeast wont work.....the alc content is too high for new yeast to work, this is why we do the doubling up method in the restart tutorial...adding yeast to the wine now will kill it dead.(the new yeast that is)

be careful it doesnt get too hot.

what you want to try and do is revive the yeasies (alc resistant by now( that are present in the must.

give it a good stir and see what happens.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

that's a lesson for me! the stuck ferment that i rescued with a new yeast had only started for a day or two. is there a technical term for that? like a false start lol! or is the reputation of sauternes yeast as a stuck ferment remedy richly deserved because it can handle being plunged in alcohol? those who know my posts will be aware that i'm a big fan of sauternes, but its good to still be learning about it!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  adding new yeast wont work.....the alc content is too high for new yeast to work, this is why we do the doubling up method in the restart tutorial...adding yeast to the wine now will kill it dead.(the new yeast that is)

be careful it doesnt get too hot.

what you want to try and do is revive the yeasies (alc resistant by now( that are present in the must.

give it a good stir and see what happens.
                  If you follow Bob's advice - to the letter - you stand a good chance of getting your wine to complete. It's tricky, but it stands a good chance of working. I've done it and all I did was print out the page Bob has referred you to, and, slowly but surely, completed each stage step be step.

I'm saying this as I'm not a wine boffin like some on here so if I can do it, you stand a good chance too.

The standing next to a radiator doesn't sound wise to me - especially with the really cold weather we've had and central heating having to work harder to keep us warm. If we are getting warm yeast may well be getting cooked.
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

After the advice i think i might of got it to finally re start, I aint put a stopwatch on but there is certainly glugs from the FV, heres hoping, Cheer for the info and help,, Cheers Mal

Comment

What have you got to lose?

If ever you get advice that you are not quite sure of just say something like 'say again in English'. This site is here to teach, not add to any bewilderment that may have existed already. I've been here for years ... I'm still learning.
                      “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                      X