pectolase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pectolase

i made a wine#1 and like the tutorial it hasn't cleared.

at the same time i made #1 i made a variation with fruit .NOW im not sure if i added pectolase to wine #1 as i did with the variant by mistake.

could this be why its not cleared..

iv added some kwik clear anyway but i was just wondering if adding pectolase when not needed at the start would stop it clearing after fermenting?

cheers billy

Originally posted by bill View Post
    iv added some kwik clear anyway but i was just wondering if adding pectolase when not needed at the start would stop it clearing after fermenting?

No pectolase only brings good stuff to the ferment
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

good.. i have made 2 number 1 wines now the first cleared really well, what has caused this one not to? i used exactly the same ingredients and method..

billy

Comment

even hte very best chateaux have good and bad years, sometimes there is just no explaining it, sometimes you can explain it but do nothing about it anyway. Chances are there was a crucial difference somewhere, but it be one beyond your control. I find that i can reproduce my past efforts pretty reliably, but a freak result wouldn't worry me much unless i was doing something new, and then i'd want to gather as much info as possible from those who practice routinely what is new to me ... so with that thought i'll shut up and let the wine num 1 officiando's take over, as wine num 1 is a new venture for me (going well so far!)
        To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
        A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by bill View Post
          good.. i have made 2 number 1 wines now the first cleared really well, what has caused this one not to? i used exactly the same ingredients and method..

billy

Every ferment is different, that is why wines are fermented seperately and then blended, to produce an even vintage
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

once upon a time i just didnt get blended whisky, then i went on a tour of the Talisker distillery and the praise they had for blenders made me think again. now i still like single malts, and dont like blends, but i do appreciate the skill/craft of blending, and often praise it myself these days. i have many skills to improve before blending wines will make an appreciable difference to my product but i'm looking forward to being that advanced! In the meantime i'm loving brewing with all the character that each batch brings.
            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

I agree about the character of each batch. That's part of the fun for me. A good wine, to me, is one that brings enjoyment. A wine that is, shall we say, not the best in the world can still bring a lot of fun and laughter; and be enjoyed because it's not the best.

Continual top notch results may be vital within the wine industry, but I like it because it's a country/kitchen craft that has been practised for centuries.
              “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
              Groucho Marx

Comment

and with top notch record keeping (not my strongest point by far!) there is a chance that all those little differences in each vessel may reveal something important that improves your craft. but if you are anything like me then you wont be able to tell the difference anyway, well not after a glass or two anyway hic! but seriously, there's much to this winemaking malarky and i think there's plenty of basics to master before embarking on refinements. at least i hope there is cos i'm hoping to learn a shed load by doing wine number 1's after many years of "more difficult brews".

Comment

Originally posted by ms67 View Post
                  and with top notch record keeping (not my strongest point by far!) there is a chance that all those little differences in each vessel may reveal something important that improves your craft. but if you are anything like me then you wont be able to tell the difference anyway, well not after a glass or two anyway hic! but seriously, there's much to this winemaking malarky and i think there's plenty of basics to master before embarking on refinements. at least i hope there is cos i'm hoping to learn a shed load by doing wine number 1's after many years of "more difficult brews".

well for what my knowledge is worth , stick to the recipe. I have played around with using more juice and in this wine #1 case less is defo more. The results are very impressive and everyone ( wine drinkers and non wine drinkers) i know all like it .. and because i had a few bottles of commercial wine thought i was blagging them and giving them commercial wine .

I used tesco GJ and after fermenting dry i can ( or i think i can) taste some residual sugars that may be in the juice that do not ferment but it has given my wine an EVER so slight sweetness which i and others find spot on..

billy

Comment

it'll be a coupleor 3 weeks before my first wine num 1 is ready to drink, you're making me even more excited now!

Comment

Working...
                    X