acid and the rate of fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acid and the rate of fermentation

Just wondering, a search didn't bring up anything.

Is there any correlation between the amount of acid in a must and the rate of fermentation by yeast?

As i understand yeast need acids to be present to a point and acid will also help prevent bacterial growth so it's of course a requirement but will the amount present effect it in that way?

I ask as i had one batch ferment a lot quicker, under all other same conditions except that i added quite a bit more acid to it.
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Acid is kind of a double-edged sword, as you point out. Too much acid makes fermentation conditions difficult, and not enough acid allows microbial infections that can spoil your wine before it even finishes fermenting.

I think there are other conditions that favor faster fermentations more than the amount of acid. For example, the amount of available nutrient (nitrogen in particular), freshness of the yeast, and temperature all play key roles.
    Steve

Comment

I am with you one that. If acidity played too big a part white english grapes would never ferment!!!! The acid content of the 2009 seyval was 11.5 (yikes). But on lalvin 1116 it went like the clappers.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X