Acid in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid in general

I'm only just beginning to get my head around this acid oojah. Bob made a comment about dominant acids and it began to click into place with me. Acid testing kits may well be on my shopping list after my daughter's wedding.
    “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
    Groucho Marx

Hmmm, not trying to do myself out of a sale, but I find the best method is to use your tastebuds.
    Set yourself a trial of the three main acids equally diluted in some water, taste them to see the difference.
    Also when following a tried and tested recipe taste the must pre ferment so you can get an idea of how acidic it should be, this will then help when making up your own recipe's.
    I personally only use tartaric acid in all my wines, I find the result is a cleaner crisper zing in the wine than if using citric or malic.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers Ace.

The only problem with tartaric is the price. To do a 5 gallon ferment it requires 35g, the tub only holds 50g .
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Agreed, hence the reason citric is so popular as it is the cheapest of all three, usually less than a quid for 50g.
        To me, I want my wines to turn out good, so will happily spend the extra to ensure that, but I know many have a tight budget and have to stick to it.
        Though citric acid does the job just fine and is what I used for everything at one time.

Hmmm will merge these posts to an acid related thread.
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
          Cheers Ace.

The only problem with tartaric is the price. To do a 5 gallon ferment it requires 35g, the tub only holds 50g .
          Hmmmm. I might have to have a chat to the lgoistics chappy at work and see if we can get a 25Kg sack of the stuff. I'm pretty sure I trialed some as a cement retarder at some point.
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

I'd actually reinstate that sale for Karl. My method is to do as he suggests (use my tastebuds), and then measure the acid with the test kit. That way, I gradually learn what various TAs taste like.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
              To do a 5 gallon ferment it requires 35g, the tub only holds 50g
              you are using it to top up your acid....so wouldn't use 35g per ferment as there will be acid already present in your must.....

go for the acid test kit, it will help you to develop your palate......buying it in 1 kg quantities makes it cheaper (speak to Karl)
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Good point there Pete, I'd best order some more acid kits in
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  I personally only use tartaric acid in all my wines, I find the result is a cleaner crisper zing in the wine than if using citric or malic.
                  This is precisely what I do as well.
                  Steve

Comment

im fairly new to this as well and duff has been good enough to send me over an acid test kit(for a price) so im going with the test and taste method
                    1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
                    4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
                    1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
                    drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      you are using it to top up your acid....so wouldn't use 35g per ferment as there will be acid already present in your must.....

go for the acid test kit, it will help you to develop your palate......buying it in 1 kg quantities makes it cheaper (speak to Karl)
                      I was going by the instructions on the side of the tub.

I'm getting there Bob. I'm going to gather all that I can find on WAH and print it out in large print; then leave it in the throne room where most of my studying is done .
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                      X