Young's Elderbery(less) Wine Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young's Elderbery(less) Wine Kit

I made an elderberry wine kit a while ago and promptly forgot about it (3 weeks in Iran meant I didn't fiddle with it either!).

When I got back I racked it and bottled it a week later, assuming that the sachets that came with the kit were no more than finings and a stabiliser.
    Tasting the wine, it was fine and dandy so I ordered another kit. This one went to a mate at work. He lost the instructions so I emailed young's to get a set and they sent me a PDF with ALL the instrctions (how nice of them ).

Anyway, the instructions say that one of the sachets I didn't add was the elderberry flavouring. If this is the case, what the hell did I drink?

It was really tasty too! Anyone know what the base of the kits are? My mate is already convinced that he is going to not put in the falvouring!
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Its mostly apple juice I think
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Looks like I'm actually a bit of an idiot I really should have thought before I posted.

The label has the ingredients on it. I've attached a copy. Looks like all the red kits have the same base ingredients. I wonder if the proportions are the same?

Anyway, the elderberry kit makes a perfectly lovely red wine if you don't add the elderberry flavourings to it!

PS. I can email a copy of the instructions to anyone if they need a copy.
      Attached Files
      -Police Squad

Comment

I think the clue is that it says on the can "ready to drink in 3 to 4 weeks" and just how elderberry can mature in that timescale is acomplete mystery to me.
        Last edited by David; 13-04-2010, 08:18 PM.
        My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Hi:

I made a Youngs definitive elderberry kit (1 gallon) a couple of months ago. Don't remember an elderberry flavouring component, just sulphite and finings I think.

Mine was pretty rough. I plan to open a bottle every 2 months until it's drinkable or all gone.

Good for you that yours is drinkable!

Also, I agree Youngs give fantastic customer service. In the recent past, I called Youngs regarding a 30 bottle kit (cellar 7 chardonnay, see the marmite threead for details). I got a replacement kit couriered at no cost to me direct ovenight and am more than happy to recommend Youngs as a class act to deal with.

regards

Mark

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

The plot thickens... I've found the original instructions for a plum kit that I have on the go.

The kit I've got is product of spain and has no mention of plum flavourings whilst the instructions from Young's are product of UK and clearly mention a Plum flavouring.

They have an extra sachet in the kit (A-E) whilst the instructions that came with my kit are only A-D. And there are only 4 sachets that came with it. I'll email them again and find out what is going on...
            -Police Squad

Comment

My Young's Elderberry wine kit had 'concentrated elderberry juice' listed.

Comment

Just got a reply from Young's:

Graham,

Sorry I did not realise that I had not updated my instructions to the revised ones.

We changed to a more 'premium' grape concentrate some time ago. This enabled us to remove the flavour pack.

The instructions are basically the same.

The Yeast and the nutrafine sachets have been replaced by Super Wine Yeast Compound which is a combined Yeast/Nutrient.
                Just ignore the instruction about adding the flavour pack.
                -Police Squad

Comment

I was looking through what I had in the other day, to see what I needed from the HBS.... and I found a sachet of "elderberry flavouring"
                  Not sure why I didnt use it at the time
                  Not sure what I would use it for in the future
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I am in the process of making a mondego medium white. It mentions a 'flavouring' sachet in the instructions. None in the pack..... thought I had accidentally binned it.

Perhaps not!

Comment

Working...
                    X