Red wine No 2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red wine No 2 question

Hello there, I am a newbie to the world of wine making got a load of different brews on the go at the moment and have got a gallon of red No 2 on the go and the sg is now 990.
    Time to de-gas and stabilise. Now here lies the question. It says to use potassium with sulphite (to prevent the geranium smell) but I am not to sure how much sulphite to use. Can someone help?

At the moment the wine is pretty dry tasting so I will back sweeten when the potassium has had a few hours to mix thoroughly.

If someone could shed some light it will be muchly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Ant

1 campden tablet or 5ml 10% sulphite solution.

Best to leave it 24 hours to do it's stuff so I've read.
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

thank you kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
        1 campden tablet or 5ml 10% sulphite solution.

Best to leave it 24 hours to do it's stuff so I've read.
        As above but no need to wait before adding the PS it can be added at the same time.

Clear it first before back sweetening is my advice
        Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

Sorry, perhaps I misread, I meant after you have added sulphite and PS leave it 24 hours.
          With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

thanks chaps,

So let it clear before back sweetening then? Ok, thanks for the tip.
            I presume it'll be ok as the wine is at about the DJ shoulder level. (leaving room to back sweeten.)

Comment

Originally posted by parsnipman View Post
              I presume it'll be ok as the wine is at about the DJ shoulder level. (leaving room to back sweeten.)
              Yes, OK at shoulder level for a week or two but not to much longer.

I rack and add a good finings (Kwick Cleer) when clear usually within a week I filter and then bottle or store in bulk

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hello again guys and gals,
                I added some vin cleer about 5 days ago but the wine is not clearing.

There is a good layer of sediment at the bottom of the DJ but the wine itself is just as cloudy as before.

Should I wait longer? The DJ is at shoulder level so I don't want to wait too long.

Should I try another clearing product or will the original one taint the flavour?
                Any advice great-fully received.
                Cheers
                A confused Parsnipman.

Comment

I'm sure that there will be better advice but in the meantime, try putting it on a cold floor or in a cool room.
                  “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

Ritchie's Kwik clear is (in my opinion) the best product, and using it wont taint your wine....

you should see it drop clear overnight.
                    regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                      Kwic clear it is then. Thanks.
                      The DJ is in a cool room ( no heating ) and on a stone floor so I don't think temp is a problem.

Comment

Ha, ha got it in the end. It was pretty stuborn but now it is as clear as a clear thing. Needed a couple of doses of kwik clear.

Racked it and left it in a warmer room for a few days to make sure it didnt restart fermenting and it didnt. So bottled it today. The wife has just informed me thatshe saw it bubble a couple of times today. Do you think I can expect some exploding bottles???

Comment

Have you degassed it?

it could be CO2 release
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

yes, it was degassed. The shaking the dj like mad method for about 5 mins.
                            My wife said she only saw a couple of bubbles throughout the whole time it was in the kitchen but it has got me worried now. I bought a 90 bottle wine rack for £1.20 on ebay and I'm keen to fill it but not with grenade bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by parsnipman View Post
                              yes, it was degassed. The shaking the dj like mad method for about 5 mins.
                              My wife said she only saw a couple of bubbles throughout the whole time it was in the kitchen but it has got me worried now. I bought a 90 bottle wine rack for £1.20 on ebay and I'm keen to fill it but not with grenade bottles.
                              Parsnip......Bob has got a thing about degassing, but I never degassed up untill just of late and I have never had a wine bottle explode on me in over 30+ years of wine making

Comment

Working...
                              X