Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port spirit addition / Pearson Square calc

Hi guys n gals,

A while since i've posted (too busy winemaking ). I need a little help on my calculations. I am making some elderberry port with some left over batch. I have fermented out to dry my base wine (13%). I have checked my Pearson Square calculation and need to add 7 parts of 40% spirit to 20 parts base to bring this up to a 20% port. However as I need to back sweeten won't this change the alcohol % of my base wine i.e. by diluting it a little. For example if I add 250ml of sugar syrup solution to bring it back up to say 1020/1030 is there a way of calculating the revised alcohol % of the base. Am I fermenting up the wrong demi john or is this a genuine consideration? It may not matter given the quantities (I have approx 3 litres base) but I would like to be reasonably pure about it.

Grateful as always your excellent advice.
    Simon
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
    Hi guys n gals,

A while since i've posted (too busy winemaking ). I need a little help on my calculations. I am making some elderberry port with some left over batch. I have fermented out to dry my base wine (13%). I have checked my Pearson Square calculation and need to add 7 parts of 40% spirit to 20 parts base to bring this up to a 20% port. However as I need to back sweeten won't this change the alcohol % of my base wine i.e. by diluting it a little. For example if I add 250ml of sugar syrup solution to bring it back up to say 1020/1030 is there a way of calculating the revised alcohol % of the base. Am I fermenting up the wrong demi john or is this a genuine consideration? It may not matter given the quantities (I have approx 3 litres base) but I would like to be reasonably pure about it.

Grateful as always your excellent advice.
    Simon
    The actual change will be minimal and not noticeable. Do your additions and then allow to rest to check if it clouds then bottle. Anything i have boosted % of took a year to marry together so be patient after bottling.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Thanks for the response. After posting, I noticed on the Wine Making tools page there is an adjusted alcohol calculator too. This seems to calculate an adjusted level so in these quantities as you said negligble.

Yes I intended to let it rest. One thing, is it conventional to filter fortified wine the same way any other wines are treated. I guess two options filtering base wine before addition or filtering the blended wine? Any thoughts?
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
        Thanks for the response. After posting, I noticed on the Wine Making tools page there is an adjusted alcohol calculator too. This seems to calculate an adjusted level so in these quantities as you said negligble.

Yes I intended to let it rest. One thing, is it conventional to filter fortified wine the same way any other wines are treated. I guess two options filtering base wine before addition or filtering the blended wine? Any thoughts?
        I always filter the base wine. I have not had to filter the fortified wine. The only case would be if for some reason there was a farther drop out of some kind. That again is not a likely scenario.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that.
          Simon

Comment

Working...
          X