Fermenting bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenting bucket

Inherited a three gallon fermenting bucket and it's full of Number 1 at the moment. Fermented out quicker than I expected and it's currently at .996. Is it OK to ferment to dry and then rack into demijohns or should I have put it under airlock sooner?
    BTW...really impressed with the Gervin No 3 currently in the Citrus Apperitif. Got through the extra half pound of sugar I added to it in really quick time.

Personally I woud rack it into DJ's now and let it finish the ferment there, however it would be ok to let it finish in the bucket as long as it didnt sit when finished.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Bob

Comment

I agree with Bob. If you leave it in the bucket, open the bucket only when necessary (i.e. to take an SG reading). This will minimise disturbance to the blanket of CO2 given off by the fermentation, which will protect the wine.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

As soon as you need to do something else with it, then that's when you're gonna have to think about other containers, so if it can stay where it is, then all well and good (plastic is fine for fermenting, but I'm not a big fan when it comes to ageing).

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
          X