degassing big bin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• degassing big bin

i normally make gallon at a time wine. if using a 5 gal vessel how do i de gass it. or should it be racked into djs first when ready then degassed

Take a look at this thread. It should answer your question, but if not please ask
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      Take a look at this thread. It should answer your question, but if not please ask
      What thread???????? Or are you using invisible cotton again... (cotton - thread geddit?!!?)
      Last edited by Her Lushness; 16-05-2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: being a smartypants
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Doh

I'm a bit hard-of-thinking this morning

THIS is the thread:

Thread ... cotton .... very good
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          Doh

I'm a bit hard-of-thinking this morning

THIS is the thread:

Thread ... cotton .... very good
          You went to sleep again Pete i keep telling you it is sleep that makes the head feel bad after feeling good the night before.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Yes, I remember that NOW, but last night I forgot
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

at the start bob put you can leave it for 12 months or so and it will de gass itself. can i leave wine no.1 in a big bin for 12 months or is it not meant to be left that long. can you get big whizz sticks for 5 gal buckets. thanks for the help so far

Comment

When you say 'big bin' are we talking about a bucket-type fermenter or something with a narrow neck which you can top up to remove all but the smallest bit of air (e.g. a 5 gal carbuoy or a big Better Bottle)?

If the former, definitely not. There would be far too much headspace. If the latter, yes, but Wine no.1 is designed to be an early-drinker.

Whizz Sticks will work fine in 5 gal fermenters. They are fine for 1 gal DJs, but I would transfer a litre or so into another container to stop it foaming out of the top.

EDIT: I doubt that it would degas itself in only a year.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by bobby View Post
                  at the start bob put you can leave it for 12 months or so and it will de gass itself.
                  eek!

no, it wont degas itself, i have a 2006 cherry wine that has been under airlock for 4 years now, and despite my best efforts i cannot get it to degas at all.

wine def wont degas itself
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    eek!

no, it wont degas itself, i have a 2006 cherry wine that has been under airlock for 4 years now, and despite my best efforts i cannot get it to degas at all.

wine def wont degas itself
                    The paradox of the man with all the toys erm, rather than leave it under airlock, wouldn't it be better to de-gas it with your enolmatic Bob and then just use a bung ?

If nothing else you wouldn't have to keep checking the airlock every couple of months to make sure it hasn't dried out.........

regards

the laziest person in the world.........
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I kind of gave up on it, coz it tastes pants anyway....

will no doubt have another go sometime soon.

(and it sat under enolmatic vacuum for 36 hours, and still released tons and tons of CO2...it has to be seen to be believed)
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                      X