Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Degassing

Hi - I hope someone can help.
    I made a medlar wine back min November 09. I started the ferment on the muashed fruit (SG 1.086) for a few days then stained off the juice (SG 1.058) then added suger bringing the SG back up to 1.072. The wine fermented down to 0.996 mid December. I racked and degassed then added finings 2 days later. At the end of January I racked again and found I need to degass again. I did then left it until now. I was going to bottle the wine but it is still really gassy. I have been degassing using a vacuvan. This method has worked with countless other wines. I have been using the vacuvan on this wine every time I go past since Saturday. Today I decanted half and shook it, it was like shaking a freshly opened larger!!

Hope someone can help because other than a slightly fizzy feeling the wine is lovely.
    Thanks
    Chris

Is it releasing CO2 bubbles or is it foam?

if it is tight packed like the head on a beer, it is foam and not CO2.....and you should maybe let it rest a few days.

If it is CO2 bubbles, just keep going

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

It is definitely bubbles, so I will keep going. Thanks.

Comment

if its a 1 gallon wine i find a good 10-15 mins of shaking is enough to degas(shake release gas and shake again and so on till there is no fizz when you take your hand from the opening ) if its 5 gallons you can get a thing to put on a drill to degas
        1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
        4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
        1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
        drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

I have been shaking it. I am getting there now. I was just suprised how long it was taking. I've never had a wine needing so much degassing!

Comment

I made a cherry wine in 2006.......got fed up of attempting to degass it, so left it under airlock, thinking it may degass itself given time...

it STILL isnt degassed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep the faith, and keep your chins chins up
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              I made a cherry wine in 2006.......got fed up of attempting to degass it, so left it under airlock, thinking it may degass itself given time...

it STILL isnt degassed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep the faith, and keep your chins chins up
              b*gger. There's no hope for my 2009 apple and elderberry then!
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
              X