Balance in Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance in Wine

A friend linked me up with the article below, which some of you who have been struggling with the concept of balance might find interesting.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the bulk of the article, there is one excerpt I wanted to touch on:
    Whole nations can exhibit a preference for one character over another - in Great Britain, for example, there has traditionally been a strong leaning toward wines with extreme bottle age. To these drinkers a wine showing any fruit flavors is one which needs more cellaring.
    Since the majority of you are British, do you feel this is an accurate statement? I've been to your country a few times and have several longtime acquaintances who are British, and I've never observed this phenomenon, at least not with people within my age bracket (45-55). To the contrary, many of my UK friends seem to be fans of wine with bold, fruit-forward characteristics (Aussie and South American wines being particularly popular).

What do you think?
    Steve

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
    many of my UK friends seem to be fans of wine with bold, fruit-forward characteristics (Aussie and South American wines being particularly popular).

What do you think?
    I think these wines are gaining in popularity massively
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

So long as it is fairly balanced, and doesn't taste like vinegar I'll drink it and appreciate it for what it is. But, a lot of people are narrow minded in what they like and aren't open to trying new stuff.

Comment

I think these wines are gaining in popularity massively
        They're popular here, too, though there's been a backlash lately against Yellowtail style wines. There was a time not too long ago when you'd go to a party here, and everyone would show up with a bottle of Aussie wine with a critter of some sort on the label. Kangaroos, lizards, and what not.

Inexpensive Spanish, Italian, and South American wines are probably the most popular wines in the US these days. I don't see a lot of Australian wine anymore.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          So long as it is fairly balanced, and doesn't taste like vinegar I'll drink it and appreciate it for what it is.
          Me too, Rich. Balance is the key.

Of course it has to taste good, too.
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X