WN1 Blah blah blah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WN1 Blah blah blah

Read many of the pro WN1 posts on here and was sceptical.

Made up of 2 gallon using bargain basement ingredients (after many kits) and gave them the benefit of a bit of time and a couple or rackings.

Apart from the slightly thin taste, was reasonably impressed at how cheap a quaffable table wine can be made for what amounts to less than 40p a bottle. Whilst it will not be a show-off wine, it is more than drinkable and a quality way to show heathens that decent wine can be made on a budget!

Anyway, the question is... to give the wine a slightly more robust feel would adding another carton of white grape juice spoilt it (bearing in mind I know how to use a hydrometer!!)

i add some fresh lemon and lime juice and the zest and the wine turned out really good
    wines like this are good to experiment with so do what make you happy
    and for me the most important thing is that you enjoy drinking it, its no fun to make a wine you wont enjoy
    1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
    4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
    1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
    drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

When the SG gets to around 1.010 add the juice from a small tin of gooseberries (no gooseberries...eat those)

it really Sauvignon Blanc's the wine up

Goldseal did this tweak, and the resulting wine took a prize at Ponte show last year...

another litre of grape juice doesn't realy seem to add that much in my opinion,
      regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        When the SG gets to around 1.010 add the juice from a small tin of gooseberries (no gooseberries...eat those)
        it really Sauvignon Blanc's the wine up

Eating fermentables ??
        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

bugger!

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

That Wine No.1 + Gooseberry I made did have an additional 0.5 litre white grape juice. Like you, however, I'm not sure that it actually adds much
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I am also a WN1 virgin, got to take hydrometer reading tonight to see how it is doing. Been sluggish ferment the last few days. Started mine on the 25th May.

I wish I had known about the gooseberry trick before, but I can save that for next time

Are there any other known enhancements to WN1 recipe (aside from duffbeer's sticky).

Thanks

Comment

You can use it as a base for lots of different wines, but remember you wont be able ever to make a big wine out of it....

light, refreshing, early drinking stuff is the order of the day (while your top quality stuff ages)
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Tin of gooseberrys bought today..

Comment

You can also add a tin of pineapple at 1030 (I blended the lot before addition). Gives a hint of the new world chardonnay with the tropical fruit flavour. Also a tin of chopped up lychees added at the start (thanks rich) makes a gewurtstramener analogue that is excellent. strain off at 1030 and into demijohns till dry for a great wine.

I would have entered these in the vwc comp but it was so good we finished it before the comp was announced.

I have also tried adding extra grape juice and agree it adds nought. However, a small tin of white grape concentrate (youngs wine enhancer) does add a bit of body I think.

Whatever you do it is a fantastic base recipe

regards

Mark

http://markblades.com
                    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by modofodo View Post
                      I wish I had known about the gooseberry trick before, but I can save that for next time
                      You can still do it. The sugar in the gooseberry juice will perk the fermentation up.

You can also wait until fermentation is complete. Stabilise the wine - add sulphite and sorbate - then add the gooseberry juice. The fermentation shouldn't restart and you'll end up with an off-dry wine.

Add a tsp of pectolase when you add the juice, to ensure you don't end up with a pectin haze.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks guys - advice and suggestions appreciated.

I like the sound of the various additions.

Comment

add the zest of a lemon and lime plus the juice from both and you get get a light refreshing wine but not to strong on the flavours
                          1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
                          4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
                          1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
                          drinking cyser drinking elderflower

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            but remember you wont be able ever to make a big wine out of it....

light, refreshing, early drinking stuff is the order of the day (while your top quality stuff ages)
                            i have a cunning plan regarding the "big wine". sounds impossible i know, hence cunning! So far my number ones have stopped me drinking the good stuff - with pleasure. .... but i think there is more to be had from wine number 1! i'll keep you posted, tho it may be months from now, perhaps even a year depending on how the seasons go.
                            To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                            A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

WN1: The wine that keeps on giving. It stops you drinking your big wines, it tastes great it can be mixed up and changed about in so many ways. Is there anything it can't do? It needs a Cilit Bang style advert.

I'm going to have to try the gooseberry trick over the weekends now!
                              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

Working...
                              X