adding bentonite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding bentonite

how do you add bentonite at the beginning of a wine dry in powder form ofr already mixed with water or does it matter
    1gal turbo cider bubbling,1gal easy pineapple bubbling
    4gal elderberry maturing,2gal sugarbeet wine maturing
    1 gal hedgrow wine maturing,
    drinking cyser drinking elderflower

The tub should give you the dose (typically 1 tsp per gallon).

I usually put about 3 or 400ml boiling water into a pyrex jug and gently sprinkle the Benotonite, stirring rapidly. It clumps if you don't.

I use an electric hand blender thingy, mixing every couple of minutes. I give it time to cool, then add it to the must, again stirring well.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

cheers im gonna try it with my next wine and does it make much of a difference

Comment

Yes, if you have a poncey OH then use her milk frother thingy. The trick is to add the bentonite to the water AFTER you start whizzing it up, then whisk every 5 mins until cool as goldseal says. for a 1 galon batch I normally use about 200ml of boiling water.

Interestingly, all the wine kits I have made just require you to sprinkle the bentonite sachet on the surface of the must wait 15 mins then mix in.

May have a go with a wn1 in the future.

re efficacay, I find it aids clearing markedly. some say excessive use gives an earthy flavour but I havent noticed it in the wines i've made. also adding as aclearing agent can be a wondrous thing to behold. I added it to a pineapple and grapefruit wine that wouldn't clear with ricthies qwik clear and it fell clear overnight!
        cheers
        Mark
        Last edited by mcblades; 03-06-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: additional comments

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by granda View Post
          how do you add bentonite at the beginning of a wine dry in powder form ofr already mixed with water or does it matter
          Hopefully the bentonite that you are using came with instructions, Most bentonite requires rehydration. The only exception (to my knowledge) is the bentonite in Vineco kits. It does not need to be hydrated, and this is reflected in the kit instructions.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
            Hopefully the bentonite that you are using came with instructions, Most bentonite requires rehydration. The only exception (to my knowledge) is the bentonite in Vineco kits. It does not need to be hydrated, and this is reflected in the kit instructions.

Steve
            RJS now use the type you just sprinkle in during the first stage of the mix. This stuff mixes in very well and quickly.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by granda View Post

I normally mix it in a bucket...

put about 1 litre hot water in the bucket, stir till it creates a whirlpool effect and sprinkle the bentonite in gently and slowly at the edge....works a treat!
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

bentonite

could I use bentonite as a clearing agent when finings hasnt worked?
                John

Comment

yes but bentonite is also a fining ,its the only one i use

Comment

bentonite

so would you use it before fermenting or after?
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by jonti007 View Post
                      so would you use it before fermenting or after?
                      John
                      I have used it before and after.
                      Quite alot of white kits have bentonite sachets to add at the begining.
                      I had a tropical wine, that was extremly difficult to clear, and I used it at the end then.

Shamless copy from FAQ's

Bentonite
                      A type of finely ground clay that is used as a clarifying agent. It is used at varying stages of the process, including at the beginning to provide something to which yeast can attach themselves to improve growth and help clear out solids from the primary fermentation. In order to maximise bentonite's effect, it should be dissolved in 3-5 times its own volume of water. Stir gently, and leave to swell for a while (6-12 hours). Pour off the excess water and dilute again with a little of the wine to be fined. Stir well and mix the solution thoroughly with the entire quantity of must/wine to be fined.

Hope this helps somewhat....
                      I expect a boffin will be along soon, with a better explanation
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                      X