Wine fermenter, greasy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine fermenter, greasy question

I have just received an early father's day present. A 25 litre fermenter similar to the one attached (could not convince her that a 120 litre one was what I really needed).

It has a sticker on it about using petroleum jelly on the inside of the lid and 'O' ring to make it properly air tight. Can I not just do it up really tight? Then again, I suppose it is not that much of a kerfuffle to grease the lid up once per ferment. The retailer I purchased from did not mention this in the product description
    Attached Files

I have found that I dont get a proper seal, if I dont use vaseline....
    Just as an extra tip... let the o ring sit in hottish/warm water, whilst you put the vaseline in the cap, then put the o ring in...
    It just makes it easier all round
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I don't do it up that tight, never greased, never had a problem. PS This is a brill bit of kit. Perfect for all sorts of things..
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for the replies - might try it without the grease and see what happens. Will report back when I have a brew underway - might be a few days!

Comment

got one recently too.
          shop advised me to use vaseline on the 'o'ring AND the thread, also a leaflet with it likewise. mine has an airlock so easy enough to check if it's needed, but i won't be taking any chances.
          To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
          A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

One of them was my first fermenters. You get a nice little tap that you can fit on it. Very handy for bottling with a little bottler when I was doing my beers.
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

I would of thought that if you are fermenting wine, then a good seal is not that critical. I routinely ferment in 5 gal buckets without issue. Just leave the lid slightly ajar, then transfer to better bottles for clearing etc.

Beer is a different prospect, but then I gave up on pressure barrels a while ago in favour of pet bottles.

good luck

mark

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I will be mostly fermenting wine in it. I have some ale in a 25l bucket with loose lid and cloth tied round the top top stop anything getting in.

Appreciate the replies, looking forward to my first 'BIG' batch of wine......not sure what it will be yet!

Any suggestions?

Comment

Depends on funds available.

I would recommend either a 30 bottle beaverdale (barolo or s.blanc are excellent). I just did a vintners reserve chardonnay (38 quid v 30 quid for the beaverdale) which was excellent but needed qwikclear to get it clear where the beaverdale kits cleared on their own.

if moneys short then 5 gals of wine #1. split it at 1030 into buckets and make whatever you fancy (I like lychee and pineapple).

go for it

mark

http://markblades.com
                  Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                  These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Thanks mark.

Funny you mention the Beaverdale Barolo, I have a 1 gallon kit on the go. Just checked SG tonight and it is down to 990 ish (prob a wee bit under). I also sampled a drop from the trial jar - not drinkable now, but it tasted like it will be very nice and heavy in a few months.

I've read that 3 months is the time to wait (I think Lockwood reviewed it). I shall wait, I have plenty of other brews in the rack.

I have a 1 gallon Beaverdale vieux chateau du roi to do next...

I also have 1 gallon of wine #1 which I will be testing in a moment, should be almost ready to rack. I am intending on doing a wine #1 variation with Lychees next and some Germanic yeast, though probably only 1 gallon as I am not a big white wine fan.

Comment

I've just started my first 5 gal.batch in one of these (got it in a charity shop for £5) and I've been panicking because the airlock isn't blooping at all. If you put your ear to the fermenter, you can hear the wine hissing, but no bubbles coming through. I presume the wine will still ferment out OK?

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                        ...I would of thought that if you are fermenting wine, then a good seal is not that critical.........
                        Indeedy, I ferment all sorts in mine. I should have mentioned earlier I don't use airlock (I put a bung in it) and do it up 'just' tight.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by elleks View Post
                          I've just started my first 5 gal.batch in one of these (got it in a charity shop for £5) and I've been panicking because the airlock isn't blooping at all. If you put your ear to the fermenter, you can hear the wine hissing, but no bubbles coming through. I presume the wine will still ferment out OK?
                          Absolutely. I ferment in 25L Jerry cans (like for fuel, but they have NEVER EVER had fuel near them, and are food safe). I drill a hole in the cap ever so slightly to small for an air lock and ram one in. Needless to say the seal is not 100% and the airlock harrdly bubbles, but I've fermented 6-7 batches of beer and wine this way.
                          Channelling the spirit of Bob 'Lockwood'

The hydrometer is your friend

Originally posted by modofodo View Post
                          Thanks mark.

Funny you mention the Beaverdale Barolo, I have a 1 gallon kit on the go. Just checked SG tonight and it is down to 990 ish (prob a wee bit under). I also sampled a drop from the trial jar - not drinkable now, but it tasted like it will be very nice and heavy in a few months.

I've read that 3 months is the time to wait (I think Lockwood reviewed it). I shall wait, I have plenty of other brews in the rack.

I have a 1 gallon Beaverdale vieux chateau du roi to do next...

I also have 1 gallon of wine #1 which I will be testing in a moment, should be almost ready to rack. I am intending on doing a wine #1 variation with Lychees next and some Germanic yeast, though probably only 1 gallon as I am not a big white wine fan.
                          Chateau du roi is an ABSOLUTE BELTER. I cannot recommend this enough
                          I'm probably going to get admonished for this, but I've just done my first 5 Gallon batch of Chateau du Roi and I've been sampling a bottle every week or so (unlike the wife who is sampling one every other night) and it has gone from strength to strength. Really all the Beaverdales are fantastic though so you might want to try something different.
                          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                          -Police Squad

Comment

I must admit I am leaning towards a 30 bottle chateau du roi. I have read good things about it and although I have not done the 6 bottle kit yet I don't think I am going to be disappointed.

I like Cotes du rhone villages and chateauneuf-du-pape so if it ends up anywhere near I'd be

Just needs some more bottles and other storage vessels (any suggestions? bear in mind that my normal consumption is 1 bottle of wine a week, occasionally 2). I think we may have a wine lake situation if I am not careful

How long do these type of kit wines keep for?

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
                              -----%<-----

Chateau du roi is an ABSOLUTE BELTER. I cannot recommend this enough
                              I'm probably going to get admonished for this, but I've just done my first 5 Gallon batch of Chateau du Roi and I've been sampling a bottle every week or so (unlike the wife who is sampling one every other night) and it has gone from strength to strength. Really all the Beaverdales are fantastic though so you might want to try something different.
                              Isn't that the one that's supposed to be a Chateau Neuf clone ???

regards

jtfb
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X