Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodium Metabisulphite - How to do...

Hi, sorry more silly questions.

I decided after reading this thread about sodium metabisulphite that I should use it, seems economical and time saving.

Now for the silly question(s)...

So I mix up 500ml as per instructions.

To sanitise a 1 gallon PET container; do I simply pour some in and give it a good shake several times over 5 mins, then give it a good rinse?

What about for a 5 gallon bucket? Swish some around for 5 mins, then rinse?

Small things (airlocks, bungs etc) stand in solution for 5 mins then rinse?

Can I reuse it ? (eg. sanitise one container, then pour into next and so on)...

See, silly questions

No such thing as a silly question.
    Yes 5 times, as you say more economical than campden tabs.
    Right or not I make up a stronger batch and keep it in a DJ with a bung then use this repeatedly, having said that someone will say that I should not do that

Terry

Comment

HI:

this is my method, works to date with no infections so far (fingers crossed).

1. wash out your DJ/FV with soap and water and rinse until no more soap suds.

2. spray 15-20x 10% NA or K metabisulphite into the fv and swirl to ensure contact throughout.

3. Apply 2 layers of cling film to the lid and leave until required.

4. when required rinse out with tap water until smell of sulphite is gone, then bung in your fermentables and you are away.

I have been doing this for months with djs 5 gal buckets and better bottles and i have had no problems so far with infections.

cheers

mark

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Phew.

I did not wait for a reply, I just 'got to it'. Seems I did pretty much what you guys do

Thanks for confirming!

Comment

The only caveat I would add is:

if using sulphite instread of campden then use fresh solution (5ml per gal) as efective life reduces with standing.

cheers

mark

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Thanks Mark. Will bear that in mind.

Comment

I use a splash of vodka to keep barrels/jars/bottle etc sweet - the advantage IMO - it doesn't loose its potency and is neutral in all things you do and can be reused/recycled.

Just drain vessel and use.

When was the last time you saw a bottle of Vodka go off?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                I use a splash of vodka to keep barrels/jars/bottle etc sweet - the advantage IMO - it doesn't loose its potency and is neutral in all things you do and can be reused/recycled.

Just drain vessel and use.

When was the last time you saw a bottle of Vodka go off?
                But a) it's a waste of good vodka and b) the alcohol element will evaporate in a surprisingly quick time.

If you just use one of the cleaning regimes already mentioned, then rinse with soap/water. When there's no suds/smell of soap left, it can be sprayed with "CJJ's cure all sanitiser" i.e. 5 campden tablets crushed and 1 tsp of citric acid mixed/dissolved into 1 pint of water - liberally sprayed onto the inner surfaces - I understand that about 5 minutes contact time is fine - then just tip out any residue.

There's enough sulphites to kill/inhibit any nasties, but not enough to affect any yeasts etc that are pitched.

Just my 2 pence worth.....

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I hear what you are saying, and agree.

I used to do it that way, until I found what polish vodka plants use for sterilizing. You guessed it, and there ain't no waste.

It also smells better when you stick you 'oota in to test it. Each to their own eh!

PS. I abhor washing up, and for the same reasons I moved away from bottling and went straight to dispense.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                  X