When to take SG reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to take SG reading

When do I take SG readings when making a Kenridge showcase Malbec. Is it before I put the benotite in or after, or does it not make any difference
    Cheers John

Originally posted by jonti007 View Post
    When do I take SG readings when making a Kenridge showcase Malbec. Is it before I put the benotite in or after, or does it not make any difference
    Cheers John

When do the instructions say to check it?

when making kits....always follow the instructions omitting no detail no matter how slight....especially with the top end kits.....tis a lot of money to waste if you mess up!

once you get some experience under your belt, you may modify a little like some of us do.

personally I always put the bentonite in at the very start of making a kit...dissolve it in 1 litre hot water, it dissolves easier.

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 22-06-2010, 07:43 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The Bentonite in kit making is always the first addition. I put in 4 litres warm water and sprinkle in the bentonite while stirring this breaks up the bentonite and makes a nice slurry i then add in the juice and finish toping up with water give everything a mighty good stirring take the SG and pitch the yeast.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Forgot to add.......

the bentonite would NOT alter the SG
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Unless the instructions are different for the UK, the Ken Ridge Showcase instructions call for the bentonite to be added prior to making the batch up to 23 litres (5 Imp gallons). So the sg would be taken once the must is brought up to the full 23 litres.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

bentonite

Right I have a much better idea now, although if Bentonite is a clearing agent why put it in at the beginning or is this for a different purpose?
            John

Comment

Right I have a much better idea now, although if Bentonite is a clearing agent why put it in at the beginning or is this for a different purpose?
              John
              Bentonite needs to be well mixed into the wine so having it in there from the start archives that end
              Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

John
                1. It is always a good idea to follow instructions the first time (at least) you do something.

2. Bentonite is a multi-purpose product, but it is not a standard clearing agent. It primarily gets rid of protein haze. This can be done in the primary or later. If done later, apparently a much larger dose is appropriate, and much more stirring. Bentonite also aids the yeast during fermentation by providing nucleation points. The action in the wine of the CO2 generated helps the yeast and bentonite to circulate through the must/wine.

Steve
                the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Bentonite

Thanks CP, now I have got it Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X