Yeasty Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeasty Question....

Ok, so I am making 1 gallon of some wine (non kit) and I get to the stage where I need to add the yeast.

You might have been asked this before.....

The sachet will do for 23 litres, so do I use a 5th, reseal the rest and put in the fridge?

Normally I'd chuck the whole sachet in for luck, occasionally I use half a sachet and then reseal and try to use very soon on something else.

Times aren't that tight, but I don't like waste

Originally posted by modofodo View Post
    Ok, so I am making 1 gallon of some wine (non kit) and I get to the stage where I need to add the yeast.

You might have been asked this before.....

The sachet will do for 23 litres, so do I use a 5th, reseal the rest and put in the fridge?

Normally I'd chuck the whole sachet in for luck, occasionally I use half a sachet and then reseal and try to use very soon on something else.

Times aren't that tight, but I don't like waste
    Just use the whole package. This will ensure a good ferment.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

For one gallon, I would use the one sachet...
      But thats because I cant be doing with the faff of weighing out a 5th weight of the package, as like you say, times aren't that tough...

In fact, IF I do split a yeast, its only in two, if I am starting two different one gallons at the same time.
      I get the yeast started, then split in two, added half into each DJ.

I wouldn't "save" half a sachet of yeast for later... but maybe keeping a starter would be a better option.... LINKY
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Yup, I tend to split when I have 2 things going on (couple of elderberries etc). I agree, I need to look at these starters and moreover I need to look at utilising the lees from my nice kits (that's another question for later!).

Comment

Working...
        X