Winemaking Books Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winemaking Books Recommendations

I have a prehistoric copy of CJJ Berry, a book call 'winemaking the natural way' and 'country wines and cordials'.

All a bit dated.

Does anyone have any recommendations for more up to date literature?

Thanks!

This one is hands down my favorite... though I feel it gets a little too technical at times.

Techniques in Home Winemaking: The Comprehensive Guide to Making Chateau-Style Wines
    , by Daniel Pambianchi

This is a good one, also. Geared toward the novice, but crosses over into more advanced topics in a few places.

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home, by Sheridan Warrick
    Steve

Comment

Oh, but keep in mind both of those are grape winemaking books.

I'm not real familiar with any books covering country wines, since I don't make that many. When I do, I usually just visit Jack Keller's web site.
      Steve

Comment

Usually the recipes are only outdated as to the sugar (use your hydrometer instead) and "other" addtions (instead of a slice of bread, I prefer to use some yeast nutrient, etc), but otherwise basically sound.

A good book is by Judith Irwin, not too many recipes, but a nice book to own. Not incredibly new, but new enough.

You will not find another book with just recipes in it, like the CJJJJJJJ Berry ones.

Not yet, at least!
        Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
        Twitter: VirtualWineO
        Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Progressive Winemaking by Peter Duncan / Bryan Acton

Bob had gone on and on about this being a brilliant book for a couple of years.. So I bought a copy this year. Wish I'd bought one sooner. Quite a lot of information, but it's good. There are recipes in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            Progressive Winemaking by Peter Duncan / Bryan Acton

Bob had gone on and on about this being a brilliant book for a couple of years.. So I bought a copy this year. Wish I'd bought one sooner. Quite a lot of information, but it's good. There are recipes in there too.
            The also wrote the now out of print (available on amazon markets though) Making Mead.

Again, out dated, but with enough information to keep you at it......

Plus you can usually work out any of the updates/modernisation that needs doing......

regards

jtfb
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I love 'The Joy of Home Winemaking' by Terry A. Garey. Very easy to read, and some good recipes.(I can't wait to try her Raspberry Wine)

Comment

CJJJJJ Berrys first steps is great from a methodology point of view, but the recipes are a bit plargh (too much sugar) but if you look on the forum you will find an updated version of the recipes.

For me the best book is Progressive winemaking (Acton and Duncan) its just streets ahead of the rest for amateur winemakers.

I also like Terry Gareys book, and Daniel Pambianchis, although it is as Steve says, a grape winemaking book.
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by elleks View Post
                  I love 'The Joy of Home Winemaking' by Terry A. Garey. Very easy to read, and some good recipes.(I can't wait to try her Raspberry Wine)
                  Terry lives in my area, and was a member of our winemaking club at one time. I corresponded with her for awhile last year when we were looking for guest speakers for an event. From what I understand, she's not quite as active in winemaking as she used to be, which is unfortunate.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by elleks View Post
                    I can confirm that the raspberry wine is GORGEOUS!
                    HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I shall try and lay my grubby hands on a few of these books!

Much appreciated.

Comment

Progressive winemaking is out of print, but comes up on ebay and on amazon from time to time 2nd hand at 99p (normally plus £3 postage tho)

but it is a fab book
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

this is the newer version

please indicate if anyone is bidding on it.....so you dont bid against each other
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I can confirm it is I who is bidding, also me on the t edwin belt elderberry book.

However, I have been outbid on the elderberry book, if someone from here is bidding I will bow out (but let me know!) otherwise I might bid a little more.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by modofodo View Post
                              I can confirm it is I who is bidding, also me on the t edwin belt elderberry book.

However, I have been outbid on the elderberry book, if someone from here is bidding I will bow out (but let me know!) otherwise I might bid a little more.

Thanks
                              Ah! bugger, so am I..........

I'll have a look round the used book places instead........

regards

jtfb
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X