Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degassing with a Vacuvin

Hi
    Just ordered a Vacuvin to use for degassing as I am a clumsy git and recognise that if I use the shake method it is just a matter of time before a gallon of wine slips and smashes on my floor.
    In the tutorial, it shows either the product's attachment going into a carboy top or a bored bung being fitted to it and that being pressed against a safety bung.
    Quick question, if using for a standard gallon demijohn, do I need a specific size of bung and is it necessary to use in conjunction with a safety bung or can it just go straight into the top of the demijohn?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Cheers
    John

Welcome, John,

Take a look at this thread:

- work your way down from this point.

I have had some success fitting a Vacuvin bung over the top of the centre tube of a junior airlock, but these airlocks tend to get brittle and it is easy to crack them. A couple of us have also found that a Vacuvin bung fits into the top of a bubbler airlock, so you could take your existing airlock out, fit a sanitised, EMPTY bubbler, then fit the Vacuvin into the top. Be careful if you do this though - you now have quite a long lever and it would be quite easy to snap the airlock if you get too enthusiastic
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Cheers Pete
      I take it a junior air lock's the same as a handy airlock? Already using these so probably give this a try first.
      Thanks
      John

Comment

Yep, same thing. Remember to use a dry (but sanitised) airlock for degassing.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Another method I've used (once admittedly and was lucky not to get lynched by SWMBO) employed a dyson vacuum cleaner and a oneway valve taken off of one of those useless JML vacuum storage bags.

This I reckon would work have really well if I hadn't been using it on a better bottle. As these are flexible walled beasts they implode under vacuum and I ended up with a dyson that was half full of merlot and a really pxxxxd off OH.

Dyson now fragrances the room with red wine vinegar but seems otherwise to have survived.

Anyone else care to experiment?

cheers

Mark

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

lol. I suspect if you tried this with glass you may have imploded the DJ.

Them pesky Dysons are powerful things. Innovative though.

Hey maybe JD could invent a nobody ever thought of it before wine-degasser. Has to be millions in that idea.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
            X