Oak Barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Barrels?

I've been looking to bulk age my elderberry wine in larger containers than the 1 Gallon demi-johns I use at the moment. I use carboys for secondary fermentation but don't like hauling them down to the garage for aging (it's too far and the ground is really uneven).

I found this site on the net:

http://www.oak-barrel.com/barrels_an...er_barrels.htm

and wondered if anyone had used these barrels. It seems they are not toasted is this a problem?

I also found these barrels which look nicer and come toasted but they are well out of my price range at the moment.

http://www.woodbarrels.co.uk/shop/ca...k_Wine_Barrels

Could I go for the cheap ones or just keep saving for the more expensive type?

The other option I have been considering is using stainless steel containers but they seems even more expensive. I'm looking to store wine in 20-50l containers.

Comments and/or suggestions for other suppliers or options gratefully received.

Cheers.

BB.
    Last edited by Bill Berry; 25-07-2010, 05:57 PM.

How about 54 litre or even 34 litre glass demijohns, thats what i use, they are difficult to move on your own when full though

I rack under vacuum using my enolmatic....makes life easy
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

If you have the option to use toasted vs. untoasted, I would definitely recommend the toasted barrels. I have 3 barrels myself, 50, 40, and 30 liters. The larger two are French oak and the smaller is American. They all impart slightly different flavor. American oak has more of a vanilla flavor and French oak is more caramel.

My opinion that you get what you pay for. The 40 liter French barrel I have was a budget model. It's never completely stopped leaking from the first time I used it. Not a big leak, but just sort of seeping through the pores of the wood. This has caused it to turn pink.

I've been very happy with the other two.

A barrel is a long term investment, so when you consider that you will be using it for many years to come, the price is not as prohibitive as one would think.
      Steve

Comment

Large glass carboys are the way to go. A vacuum pump is nice - a caravan 12v whale pump is £10.

Sorted.

I have pictures if you need, just ask.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
        X