A lesson in patience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson in patience

Some of you might remember I mentioned that I made some apple, grape and pear wine a while back and that it took an AGE to ferment (wine number 1 made with 2L of Welch's Apple, Grape and Pear Juice). You might also remember that I also made a 5 Gallon batch of the above wine number 1 but with the lees of a 5 gallon Beaverdale kit added (We named him Cornelius).

Cornelius took an ETERNITY to ferment. I started him in March/April and he has just about reached 0992. A Few times I thought he had died as there was very little happening on the hydrometer and at one point after making a elderflower wine I chucked in a cup of the cloudy wine (it was more fer
    mented than Cornelius so I thought what the hay).

Anyway, like I say, he is finally at 0992 and it is LOVELY. Probably my best wine yet. I might have to send some to Bobbletop.

The moral is, I suppose, do not rush your wine... even if you think it has stalled, give it some time and check the hydrometer.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Yay
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
      The moral is, I suppose, do not rush your wine...
      A secondary moral is not to give your wine cute names like "Cornelius." Just like a pet lamb or duck, doing so may cause you to grow so attached to it that you'll not want to consume it.
      Steve

Comment

Now being a contrairy git that I am, I'd offer a counter that......

Make a traditional mead but use a champagne yeast and "work" the ferment so that you maximise it to it's alcohol tolerance (see Ken Schramms book for a full description of possible faults - not "off flavour" faults though) and then have to keep doing stuff with it to get it nice and clear.

Then because of the faults i.e. Kens analogy of Listerine, whereas I just say "medicinal" and have to age it, not weeks or months, but years...... then only to find that it's "OK" but missing something and back sweetening with honey, that decides to "haze" and then having to put it away again to let the haze drop (it's nearly gone).

So that's currently 3 and a 1/2 years of "improving".

Like British Rail, it'll get there, eventually

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X