Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine from grapes

Hello,

I have the offer of around 40lbs of free grapes from a local vine in a large glass house. The owner doesn't have time and says I can take them

I'm not sure what variety they are but he assures me he's made wine from them and one a few comps in his time.

So.... How do I know when they are ready (I would ask him to assist but he's a very busy man and hasn't time to do any wine making these days).

And when I pick them up how do I go about pressing them without a proper press? My feet and a bucket?

Help?

They are ready when the seeds go brown.......

unless you have a refractometer which can measure brix levels.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Awesome.

What kind of grapes?

Keep in mind, they probably aren't going to be ready for awhile yet.
      Steve

Comment

Are they white or red?

there is a lot of info on processing grapes for winemaking here

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          They are ready when the seeds go brown.......

unless you have a refractometer which can measure brix levels.
          No refractometer ere I'm afraid :-(

But would they look like 'grapes' when there ready then just give the a squeeze and check the colour of the pips?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            Awesome.

What kind of grapes?

Keep in mind, they probably aren't going to be ready for awhile yet.
            No idea what kind the are ..... I'll ask next time I'm across

The vines about 4 inches across at the base. The guy reckons its a good age.

How long do they take to ripen? They look like green bunches of grapes at the moment. They are almost a normal shop bought grape size ish but the colour of them is quite green at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              Are they white or red?

there is a lot of info on processing grapes for winemaking here

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/f...splay.php?f=46
              White I assume? He said the vine was an accident but didn't have the heart to dig it out after it had been in there for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                How long do they take to ripen? They look like green bunches of grapes at the moment. They are almost a normal shop bought grape size ish but the colour of them is quite green at the moment.
                If they are a white grape variety, you will want to pick when the sugar level is at about 18-22% (SG 1.075-1.090). Red grapes are optimal at 23+% sugar (SG 1.096).

Most grape growers use a device called a refractometer to determine sugar levels. If you don't have access to one, you can use a couple of methods to determine ripeness:
                • As Bob points out, the seeds will be brownish (as opposed to beige or tan) when they are ripe. You should also be able to mush a grape between the thumb and index finger and the inside will be more liquid than pulp. If you taste it, the taste will be very sweet with very little perceived tartness. If you make a sour face, they aren't yet ready.
                • You can also check with other grape growers and find out when they are planning to pick. Granted this isn't very scientific, but most growers within a given region pick grapes within a very narrow timeframe.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                  If they are a white grape variety, you will want to pick when the sugar level is at about 18-22% (SG 1.075-1.090). Red grapes are optimal at 23+% sugar (SG 1.096).

Most grape growers use a device called a refractometer to determine sugar levels. If you don't have access to one, you can use a couple of methods to determine ripeness:
                  • As Bob points out, the seeds will be brownish (as opposed to beige or tan) when they are ripe. You should also be able to mush a grape between the thumb and index finger and the inside will be more liquid than pulp. If you taste it, the taste will be very sweet with very little perceived tartness. If you make a sour face, they aren't yet ready.
                  • You can also check with other grape growers and find out when they are planning to pick. Granted this isn't very scientific, but most growers within a given region pick grapes within a very narrow timeframe.
                  Excellent advice I shall use the squeezey technique

I don't know of any other growers up here (on the border line to scotland ish)

Comment

And when I pick them up how do I go about pressing them without a proper press? My feet and a bucket?
                    fear not dude!

we will walk you through it when the time comes.....

I travel up north occasionally, so when harvest time gets nearer, maybe I could pop by (refractometer in hand)

will cost you a cup of tea
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

-----%<-----

Hum ? probably spot on there.

I know it's surprising where grapes are grown in the UK (lots of hobby growers - hell look how many people grow some here at WaH....),

but I understand that most (if not all) of the commercial growers are down this way i.e. Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey, etc etc.....

Might be wrong though.........
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

You're probably right. When I was over there a week ago, Bob took me to a commercial grower's farm that was up toward Scarborough. I think he said it was the northernmost commercial vineyard in the UK. You, being in Durham, are even further northward.

I call myself NorthernWiner, but I have nothing on you guys when it comes to latitude.
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X