Yeast selection criteria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast selection criteria

From the UK vineyards association (David Cowderoy of wineskills)

Dear all,

I have been asked by some of the wineries I consult to for some recommendations on yeast strains. A difficult task, seeing as there are over 250 yeast strains commercially on the market!

However here are some general recommendations to help you all decide on what strain to use. Attached to this email is a summary of the majority of the strains available. This is by no means definitive. The characteristics are taken from the manufacturer’s data sheets and are not my own comments. The spreadsheet has auto-filters so you can select from any column the criteria you want.

I will happy to discuss this in more detail at the WineSkills event on Thursday 2nd September at Denbies

Basic selection criteria

Availability
    Only some of the manufacturers have distributors in the UK. Whilst you can always import, it is not a good idea to over order as even unopened packets will lose viability when kept from one year to the next.

Optimum fermentation temperature
    Select a strain that matches your refrigeration capabilities. If a tank has no refrigeration, then don’t select a stain that is an active fermenter, normally indicated by a low optimum fermentation temperature. This is particularly important if fermenting in barrel as the heat of fermentation cannot escape. On the other hand for late varieties, when the ambient air temperature is much lower, a more active stain will be used.

Freedom from faults
    Try and select strains that produce low VA and low H2S.

Nitrogen requirement
    Strains with high nitrogen requirement can be problematic if the juice has insufficient free available nitrogen (FAN). Whilst this can be supplemented with DAP, it is not uncommon to reach the maximum legal addition and still have a reduced fermentation.

For organic producers this selection criterion is particularly important as DAP additions are not allowed.

Un-justified statements
    Beware of marketing spiel such as ‘expression of fruit and spice’ and ‘structured and fruity’. With a few important exceptions, these comments are very subjective.

Quality enhancing characteristics

Malic acid metabolism
    Some strains can metabolise malic acid and reduce acidity. However they will only remove some of the malic acid and not all.

Ester producers
    There are now several strains that produce significant quantities of esters during fermentation. These can be extremely useful in enhancing quality for young wines. Bear in mind that most of these esters hydrolyse fairly rapidly, within a period of a few months.

Improved palate structure
    Glycerol, polysaccharides and mano-proteins all have a positive effect on palate structure, softening tannins, balancing acid and supporting fruit flavours. Yeasts ability to produce these varies greatly, for instance up to 10g/l of Glycerol.

Flavour improvement
    This is perhaps one of the only areas in which the winemaker has the opportunity to significantly improve the quality of the wine. These strains fall roughly into three groups.

Beta-glycosidase activity – Glucosidically bound mono-terpenes can be cleaved, releasing aromatic volatile mono-terpenes if the yeast possesses this activity. This is particularly relevant for varieties like Siegerebe, Schoenberger, Riesling and Muller Thurgau.

Thiol producing – There are now several strains that actively enhance the levels of thiols in the finished wine. This flavour compounds are particularly important in the flavour profile of Sauvignon Blanc and Bacchus but are also present in Kerner, Muller Thurgau and Scheurebe.

Beta-damascenone enhancing – In a similar way, some yeast strains can increase the level of nor-isoprenoids, in particular beta-damascenone, improving overall flavour. This is particularly important in Chardonnay, Ortega and Riesling.

As you can see, a particular variety could have flavour contribution from more than just one group of compounds. Don’t be afraid to used mixed cultures. This technique can be very useful and manufacturers themselves are now producing pre-mixed preparations.

One final word. Problems during fermentation often can be traced back to poor re-hydration and inoculation. This can be avoided by closely following the manufacturer’s instructions and most importantly, never subject the culture to a temperature shock of more than 5oC over a 15 minute period.

Best regards

David Cowderoy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 29-08-2010, 06:42 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Wow! Brilliant, cheers Bob.

Only real snag is that it's a lot to take in and reconcile what I know and currently understand!

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Ester producers
      There are now several strains that produce significant quantities of esters during fermentation. These can be extremely useful in enhancing quality for young wines. Bear in mind that most of these esters hydrolyse fairly rapidly, within a period of a few months.
      The real trick with these types of yeasts (which include D47, Cote des Blancs, and others) is to bottle the wine as soon as it's clear and stable. I think a good rule of thumb is to get aromatic wines in the bottle within 3 months to help retain the esters. You also don't want to handle them too much, as racking will take a toll.

Too much de-gassing is another no-no, as dissolved CO2 helps retain the bouquet.
      Steve

Comment

If I may pose a question to those more knowledgable than myself.

Most home wine-making books state that yeast should be started separately from the wine, also at a slightly higher temperature, this being my method for my fruit and WGJ wines.

Now comes the big BUT, in the few ( 4 ) kits I have purchased it states that you should sprinkle the yeast over the juice mixture.

Can anyone explain, in very simple terms, why the different approaches?

Comment

I believe it is about colony size and establishment.

If you prepare the yeast in advance with a relatively small amount of sugar and nothing it needs to compete with then you can build up the colony of yeast and ensure that it is robust enough to withstand the battle with wild yeasts, other nasties and the shock of being added to a large amount of sugar all at once (standard table sugar requires quite a lot of effort to break down for establishing yeast).

If you have a duff batch of yeast you will also know before adding it to the must.

Also if you have sulphited your must/fruit it saves time as you can prepare the yeast starter in parallel and ensure that when the sulphite has dissipated enough you can add a really strong yeast shot to get things going quickly and minimise the time in which nasties can get into your must.

Fermentation seems to get underway much more quickly with a strong yeast starter.

As for temperature yeasts have a range of different temperature tolerances but slightly warmer end of the scale will enable it to get going quickly but a cooler ferment when added to the must will retain a better flavour.

As kits are generally pretty sterile this is not so important but with fresh ingredients / unsterile juice this is much the safer approach.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by SiSandrine; 20-09-2010, 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Kit instructions are also designed to be idiot-resistant too.

Sprinkling a sachet of yeast is an easy operation and unlikely to go wrong. Making a starter is a bit more complex.

I must admit that I tend to just sprinkle the yeast with kits. If anything goes wrong I can then go back to the supplier and say, hand on heart, that I followed the instructions exactly.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
            X