Use of glycerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of glycerin

Something I picked up yesterday was the use commercially of glycerol (glycerin I presume) to improves texture and mouth feel.

Has anyone?

Did it work?

Dosages?

Thoughts please?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I always use it in fruit juices wines- 1tsp to a gallon.

Comment

I use it all the time in sweet wines dessert wines and ports, I don't add it to dry wines though.

When adding, I do it to taste..

Ray Hamer reckons a jam jar full to a gallon of dessert ewine
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        I use it all the time in sweet wines dessert wines and ports, I don't add it to dry wines though.

When adding, I do it to taste..

Bob I have not used Glycerine too much until lately as a peer of mine came through from another U-Brew that had been in business for 15 years said to add it to my wines and people would make postive comment on the viscosity of the wine. So now on to my question. NW checked out my port I tried to get into the VWC comp and was not in time for . Any way he scored me up to a bronze and one comment was to glycerine to improve the viscosity. How much would be ok to use in a port of 11.5 liters. In my customer wines i add 30ml. per 23 liter batch.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I also use it at about 1 tsp per gallon (imp).

Though it does depend on what it is that I'm doing, as I also use grape concentrate and/or honey.

Both often mean that additional clearing are needed..... Glycerin not so......

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
            Bob I have not used Glycerine too much until lately as a peer of mine came through from another U-Brew that had been in business for 15 years said to add it to my wines and people would make postive comment on the viscosity of the wine. So now on to my question. NW checked out my port I tried to get into the VWC comp and was not in time for . Any way he scored me up to a bronze and one comment was to glycerine to improve the viscosity. How much would be ok to use in a port of 11.5 liters. In my customer wines i add 30ml. per 23 liter batch.
            I would add 'to taste'. Once it is in there, it aint coming out .

I made a gallon of port and added 5ml. The difference was striking.

I would say, the lighter the wine, the lower the dose.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks folks. I want a nice thick wine no doubt but the kicker here and the one that makes me nervous is the metallic flavouring that can occur when using glycerin. Like Pete says once in there it is not coming out.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

A jam jar full!!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  A jam jar full!!
                  I'd suggest that Koomber is the man too explain how closely glycerol and glycerin are........

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                    I'd suggest that Koomber is the man too explain how closely glycerol and glycerin are........
                    As far as winemaking additives go, it's two different names for the same product.
                    Steve

Comment

would the same dose be used to remove tanin from an elderberry wine as it is very puckering
                      Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Glycerin wouldn't be used for tannin removal, but gelatin would.
                        Steve

Comment

what sort of dose for gelatin would you reconmend please
                          Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

1/2 teaspoon gelatin - dissolve in 8 ounces warm water and add to 5 gals.
                            Steve

Comment

wow, that all, i was exspecting far more, glad i have not ordered it yet as i would have ordered a bucket load

Comment

Working...
                              X