Elderberry as RGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry as RGC

I am eyeing up the hedgerows with all of the lovely fat elderberries today. My cheap (ish) and cheerful home made rack-and-cloth press is ready for it's inaugural pressing and I was thinking about filling it to the brim with elderberries. I have no idea how many berries I'll fit in, but it will be lots!

So I was thinking: would elderberry juice make a good substitute for recipes that call for red grape concentrate? Could I freeze the juice in say 1 litre cartons and use one of those instead of the RGC. Would I lose anything by doing this?

It will certainly give you body, but of course doesnt contain as much sugar...

If i'm making non grape red wine, i always add elderberry to it
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

ha ha! been thinking the same thing.....

all I have to do now is find the time to go and pick the buggers before they rot/get eaten by birds/etc etc etc.....

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        all I have to do now is find the time to go and pick the buggers before they rot/get eaten by birds/etc etc etc.....
        I know! I went out this afternoon only to find that the row of trees I like has been cut back by the council - no berries at all

Going to have to go further afield now.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          It will certainly give you body, but of course doesnt contain as much sugar...

If i'm making non grape red wine, i always add elderberry to it
          Glad to know it's not a stupid idea! I'll just have to use my hydrometer then

Comment

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
            I know! I went out this afternoon only to find that the row of trees I like has been cut back by the council - no berries at all

Going to have to go further afield now.
            The local farmers have also cut back early this year. Apparently everythings ready for harvesting early so there routines have moved a few weeks. Lots of blackberries have been savaged by the cutters

Comment

the canal was trimed for four mile last year about two weeks before the bigest ever crop was ready, muppets
              Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Like Lockwood, we put elderberries in anything we make that is red, even if its not supposed to be red. We picked some elderberries, ran them thru a crusher set tight and then let them set overnight with KMeta and Pectinase. The next day I was going to put them thru the press but I just put them in a straining bag, a half gallon at a time and wrung them out dry. Done in no time and no press to clean up. I think that way gave us a lot more juice than just pressing the berries whole. Also, why not make an elderberry wine then?

Crackedcork in USA

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
                So I was thinking: would elderberry juice make a good substitute for recipes that call for red grape concentrate? Could I freeze the juice in say 1 litre cartons and use one of those instead of the RGC. Would I lose anything by doing this?
                WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
                  Like Lockwood, we put elderberries in anything we make that is red, even if its not supposed to be red. We picked some elderberries, ran them thru a crusher set tight and then let them set overnight with KMeta and Pectinase. The next day I was going to put them thru the press but I just put them in a straining bag, a half gallon at a time and wrung them out dry. Done in no time and no press to clean up. I think that way gave us a lot more juice than just pressing the berries whole. Also, why not make an elderberry wine then?

Crackedcork in USA
                  We did the same thing with apples a couple of years ago - cut them, mixed with pectolase and left overnight. We got a fair amount of juice just by squeezing a bag by hand, it was quite impressive. I don't have a crusher for the elderberries though so I might have to get my feet involved!

I'm definitely going to make an elderyberry wine I'm thinking of trying a gallon or two of pure juice that I saw you post about last year. I'll also do quite a bit of the "standard" recipe. I'm hoping I'll get enough juice to do both of those and have a stash left for freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                    The local farmers have also cut back early this year. Apparently everythings ready for harvesting early so there routines have moved a few weeks. Lots of blackberries have been savaged by the cutters
                    Went out this afternoon round a couple of the parks and found two hevily laden trees. One was deep in a patch of nettles so hadn't been touched at all - got an entire 25 litre fermenter full from that one

Comment

Working...
                    X