Wine from Home Grown Grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine from Home Grown Grapes

In a position to try this for the first time with grapes from my vines. I'm trying to understand one point in the whole process that is confusing me. I've read and been told that after the intial 24 hours to allow Co2 to escape the grapes should be crushed to extract the must and then left for 5 days to start the fermeting process. Should the pomace be left in for those first 5 days or should it just be the grape juice ?

My experience is pure kits before so whole new learning curve.

Thanks

The confusion here could be between red and white.

The process is different.

Red= Crush, keep skins, perhaps some stralks and ferment asap.
    White = Crush, Press, Sulphite, Settle (24 hrs), Rack, Ferment clearest juice only.

Hope that helps
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

For red wines see here

for white wines see here

how are you deciding when to harvest?

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Having read numerous pages it's based on the colour of the pips. Taste wise they were fantastic as well. I am right down on the South Coast which is probably why they have come along quick. We've had some really variable weather conditions in the last two weeks and that seems to have pushed things along.

thanks

Comment

Take a couple of grapes (one from the middle of the bunch and one from the very bottom...the one at the bottom will be ripest) along to a local vineyard and ask then nicely if they would check the Brix for you with their refractometer....

winemakers are a friendly lot (even the pro ones)

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

alternatively.........

Take the grape - squeeze it hard till the middle pops out all over the floor.

Chew the skins. This is the flavour of the wine (with a bit of imagination)

As winemakers can adjust sugar and acidity (more later), but we cannot adjust flavour.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Should the grapes when ripe be like the kind you buy in a fruit shop or are the skins thicker? (first time I've seen an un-ripend grape and its almost plastic its so hard)

Comment

Depends on the variety, but generally winemaking grapes have thicker skins

Comment

Working...
                X