Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always listen to Bob

That's what a pectin haze looks like!!
    Made a couple of gallons with tinned fruit and thought i'd be cute and dispense with the pectolase...having run out. Big mistake. I've now got four demijohns of really cloudy wine that isn't clearing anytime soon. Got my act together and bought a big batch of pectolase online rather than the small, expensive tubs at Wilco's.
    Is it just a case of stirring in a teaspoon or two now or do I need to follow the instructions below:
    "To treat the wine, for each gallon of wine draw off one cup of wine and stir into it teaspoon of pectic enzyme. Set the treated sample in a warm place (70-80° F.) and stir hourly for four hours. Strain the sample through sterilized muslin cloth and add to the bulk of the wine. Leave the wine at 70° F. for 4-5days. The haze should clear."
    I haven't got a muslin cloth but will get one if necessary. Thanks in advance for advice. Sorry Bob...i'll listen to your instructions next time!

Do yourself a favour and buy a jelly bag instead of a muslin bag, bit more expensive but lasts forever. I found my first couple of muslin bags didn't last long at all.

Comment

Stir it in a tsp at a time....leaving 24 hours between additions.....it will clear
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

OK......24 hours in and its clearing! Just a teaspoon of pectolase so far. Should I leave it now or add more? It does look as if it'll do it all by itself now. Will it clear totally or do I need to add finings again? It's already had a millilitre of Kwikclear.....

Comment

Originally posted by halfastory View Post
          OK......24 hours in and its clearing! Just a teaspoon of pectolase so far. Should I leave it now or add more? It does look as if it'll do it all by itself now. Will it clear totally or do I need to add finings again? It's already had a millilitre of Kwikclear.....
          I seem to recall that if the pot says 1 tsp to the must, then normally it's double that for wine......

So let it do it's thing and only add another tsp if it really needs it.....

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Woke up this morning to find a beautiful demijohn of clear wine with a nice layer of sediment.....it's practically winking at me saying "Drink me drink me".....apols for the..ahem...schoolboy error.

Comment

Working...
            X