Grapefruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit

I have just bought a box of pink grapefruits that are well ripe. £4. felt sorry for the bloke. Clients have helped themselves and i still have about 30 left. Anyone tried to ferment them?
    found this recipe... * 6 large pink grapefruit
    * 2 lbs granulated sugar
    * 3 3/4 qts water
    * 1 12-oz can frozen white grape juice concentrate
    * 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme 1/4 tsp grape tannin
    * 1 crushed Campden tablet
    * 1 tsp yeast starter
    * Champagne yeast

Scrub grapefruit clean. Put the water on to boil while thinly grating peelings of 2 or 3 grapefruit. Put zest (gratings) in nylon straining bag. Peel the grapefruit and remove all pith. Section the fruit and put segments in bag. Tie bag and put in primary. Mash the segments. Add grape juice, sugar, the crushed Campden tablet, tannin, yeast nutrient, and boiling water. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with clean cloth. After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme. After additional 12 hours, add yeast. After 5-7 days of vigorous fermentation, remove nylon bag and allow to drip drain (do not squeeze). Siphon into secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days, topping up each time. After fifth or sixth racking, bottle and set aside at least 6 months. [Adapted from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

looks easy enough..any thoughts anyone?

Nia xxx
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

I've never made it and I love grapefruit, but wouldn't it still be a bit of a pucker after the sugar fermented out? It would definately be a good experiment. If you give it a go, let us know the outcome.
    Hootus est

Comment

I have a gallon made from 1litre white grape juice and 1litre grapefruit juice which has been in a demi in my shed for one year now. When last tasted six months ago it was still at the paint stripper stage, very bitter and astringent. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that it takes at least two years to smooth off the rough edges and make drinkable.
      Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
        I have a gallon made from 1litre white grape juice and 1litre grapefruit juice which has been in a demi in my shed for one year now. When last tasted six months ago it was still at the paint stripper stage, very bitter and astringent. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that it takes at least two years to smooth off the rough edges and make drinkable.
        I read that it takes 6 months to get to a nice stage and then deteriorates after that. So april should be a happy month for me =)
        Gonna make it now..probably a 18 bottle batch then onto my quince wine (watch Bob run and hide).

Busy day and my house stink like a brewery already!
        108 bottles of wine started this week!
        And not one ready to drink =( LOLOL
        Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

It's wine Jim..............................but not as we know it!
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X