reusing bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reusing bottles

I've just started making my own wine and have been asking friends to save empties for me to use when my wine is ready. Some of the empties I've been given have flat bottoms and some have the big dents in. I was told when buying wine that a bigger dent means better quality the wine, but does it make any difference when you're re-using the bottles? will the flat ones be ok as I've been offered an ongoing supply of those

Also most of them are screw cap bottles. I've already some of those tapered corks to use, but would it be ok to reuse the screw caps for the next batch? (as long as they're sanitised of course)

thanks

Originally posted by bumpybecky View Post
    I've just started making my own wine and have been asking friends to save empties for me to use when my wine is ready. Some of the empties I've been given have flat bottoms and some have the big dents in. I was told when buying wine that a bigger dent means better quality the wine, but does it make any difference when you're re-using the bottles? will the flat ones be ok as I've been offered an ongoing supply of those

Also most of them are screw cap bottles. I've already some of those tapered corks to use, but would it be ok to reuse the screw caps for the next batch? (as long as they're sanitised of course)

thanks
    It's up to you, but if the screw caps don't make a good seal then don't try to use a cork in those, as some of them have less thickness of glass and some of them are slightly smaller on the internal diameter so a "normal" size cork might cause them to crack when it settles and expands...

If you can stick to using the "cork type" bottles it makes life easier as there are different sizes of thread and different sizes might be a PITA to keep enough of the sizes to be able to use new ones - plus you'd need a capping/crimping tool and they're not cheap......

Hence if you can, it might be easier to stick with corks....

But if you're happy with the screw caps making a good enough seal then that's fine

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

The big dent in the bottom of some bottles is called a "punt" and is not necessarily an indicator of quality. I've bought many a cheap bottle of plonk with a big punt in the bottom. Of course you can reuse them.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about the screw tops. If they are "Stelvin" closures (you find these on many Aussie/NZ bottles), the seal no longer works properly once broken. And the glass in the neck is often too thin to force a cork into without breaking. Recycle bin them.

Other closure types I'm not certain about. I live in the US and about the only kinds of bottle closures we see are cork (usually natural, but sometimes synthetic) or the Stelvins.

You also mention "tapered corks." In order to maintain a proper seal, corks used for wine bottles should not be tapered, but have the same width from top to bottom. Like this:

Steve

Comment

There was a discussion about reusing screwtops some time ago. It may help:
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

i use loads of screw top bottles bought some corks from ebay good life or something like that are bigger trhan norm so are a pain for normal corked bottles but work a treat in srewtops have only broken 1 in approx 500
          http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
          http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by kampervan View Post
            i use loads of screw top bottles bought some corks from ebay good life or something like that are bigger trhan norm so are a pain for normal corked bottles but work a treat in srewtops have only broken 1 in approx 500

Are they the dense ones with a taper a both ends?
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

no straight but longer and thicker
              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

I have found no problems with re- using screw caps as I use a double layer of clingfilm over the top of the bottle first. I usually also use a shrinkcap to make doubly certain. A friend of mine has adopted the clingfilm method, but he (being a cheapskate) puts a neat band of insulating tape round cap and bottle instead, red or white depending on the wine, so his bottles are colour co-ordinated.

BTW the only leaks I have ever had have been from proper corked bottles and that was due to my using cheapo corks.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I looked at my 'tapered corks' closely and they don't seem to be tapered after all! they're white plastic like these ones. They seem to fit ok into the screwcap bottles I've got.

I also put some water in the bottles, put the screw cap back on and nothing leaks out when I tip it upside down.

I think I'll try both and see what works for now. I'm making #1 recipe wine so they're not going to store for long.

thanks for all the replies

Comment

Those plastic ones are ok, 'should' be fine for a month or two at least I thought. soak them in some hot water first to make them easier to insert.

I use screw tops for my fast drinking stuff, upto 2 or so months in the bottle. THink I've got some older than that too, will have a look and try some.

Comment

I only ever use those plastic bungs/corks and never had trouble with them but then nothing lasts beyond a year here

The only trouble i found with them is they don't like going in reclaimed bottles you can force them in but i reckon it deforms the shape of the bung which in turn causes air sepage over time, hence i only use new bottles from my local hbs £8.50 for 15 bargain me thinks and reusable.

Comment

Originally posted by waterwolf View Post
                        they don't like going in reclaimed bottles you can force them in but i reckon it deforms the shape of the bung which in turn causes air sepage over time,
                        Yup, they can be quite tight going into some bottles, that's why soaking them with hot water first to soften them a bit helps no end.

Comment

Working...
                        X