Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribena wine

Hello,

I've tried two batches of ribena wine with two strains of yeast. My first go was s.g. to 1070 and ma66 yeast. My last one was the SV9 high alchohol and an s.g. of around 1100 (used 499ml of ribena in both cases)

Both had been going for around a month and are still very sweet (around 1040 for the latest batch and the last one went down to 1020) I've used the first lighter batch to sweeten a four gallon rose kit and this last one will be going the same way by the looks of things.

A few people who have made it have commented on how long it takes to ferment out, is this actually the case or has everyone been watching bubbles roll up the side of the fermenter? After checking this one tonight looks to me like ribena has some unfermentable sweetener and the wine is full of co2 hence the bubbles.

Its ideal for back sweetening 4 gallon kits (rose) but other than that it a fairly poor wine as its cloyingly sweet.

any thoughts?

Try adding a bit more acid to balance against the sweetness, maybe just in a glass to start with. I should improve it a fair bit. Maybe.

Comment

Was it the full sugar version of Ribena you used? Don't use the no added sugar version.

I found mine fermented out, degassed and cleared within a couple of months. Not tried it yet...!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        Was it the full sugar version of Ribena you used? Don't use the no added sugar version.

I found mine fermented out, degassed and cleared within a couple of months. Not tried it yet...!
        Hello,

Yeah it was just the standard 'purple' full sugar ribena. I'll have a go of the lighter version again and see how it goes.

Comment

What was the OG when you started.
          I used to make this ages ago - makes a lovely Rose.

I seem to think the recipe was 1 gallon, 1 bottle, 1 bag, 1 month later 1 headache!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X