Hand Corkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Corkers

I've always just used plastic caps or screw tops.
    But as time come to bottle last years Elderberry I've decided to go with cork.
    #
    I bought a hand corker from Wilkinsons for around a fiver. To be honest it looks a bit "buckshee" so I haven't opened it.
    Are these things worth the effort? My (nearly) local HBS does two handled hinged one for £14.
    Would it be better value going for the £14 one? Or is the cheapo ok?

Take a couple of bottles and some corks to the Home brew store and ask if you can "have a go"

the two handled one will be far superior to a single handed, or a smack with a hammer one....

you may however wish to wait till you can afford a floor corker (wonderful things) and they pop up from time to time on ebay for around a tenner
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

You can see if your LHBS has a floor corker to rent. Once you try one, you will never want to go back to a hand corker again.

Comment

I have this corker and I think its excellent (having previously struggled with the red bash it type from wilkos)

Its a gilda corker and I paid around £20

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
          I have this corker and I think its excellent (having previously struggled with the red bash it type from wilkos)

Its a gilda corker and I paid around £20
          Yep I have that one also. It also says Ferrari on the label, just about the only chance I have of owning a Ferrari. As BB says it does a good job but does give you the occasional "peeker".
          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            you may however wish to wait till you can afford a floor corker (wonderful things) and they pop up from time to time on ebay for around a tenner
            one on eBay this week in Southampton

and no it's not me selling!

Comment

I have bought from these people before. This floor corker looks identical to mine:

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                I have bought from these people before. This floor corker looks identical to mine:

http://www.wineworks.co.uk/product/f...rking-machine/
                This is where I got my floor corker from....
                They had it on a mega special offer, for £20, about 2 ish years ago.
                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by bumpybecky View Post
                  £25 is a bit on the expensive side....its second hand

Originally posted by goldseal View Post

http://www.wineworks.co.uk/product/f...rking-machine/
                  This is a good deal, its what is known as a Portuguese floor corker, jaws are made of plastic (Italian corkers jaws are brass) a great piece of kit, and will serve you many years, also a good price at £29 plus shipping of course. Speak to them, they were at one time offering a 10% discount to forum members.

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    This is a good deal, its what is known as a Portuguese floor corker, jaws are made of plastic (Italian corkers jaws are brass) a great piece of kit, and will serve you many years, also a good price at £29 plus shipping of course. Speak to them, they were at one time offering a 10% discount to forum members.

regards
                    Bob
                    Their delivery is free on orders more than £46

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                      Their delivery is free on orders more than £46
                      That's what I was looking at and thinking £30.64 (that's the price actually charged, not £29.99!) incurs a £7.50 shipping charge for orders <=£46.

So spend only another £15.07 (46.01-30.64) and there's no £7.50 shipping charge.
                      My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                        That's what I was looking at and thinking £30.64 (that's the price actually charged, not £29.99!) incurs a £7.50 shipping charge for orders <=£46.
                        Just had a little word with them about the price (not that I need one) and they have updated their web site and the price has now been corrected to £29.99

Comment

I asked about discount - but they said not on this item (didn't say if would generally!) - and that price was about to go up again. May take them up on it rather than wait for a Ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post
                            Just had a little word with them about the price (not that I need one) and they have updated their web site and the price has now been corrected to £29.99

Dammit, I now need to find another 65p of expenditure to get my spend above the free shipping threshold!

Just a reminder of that link on the previous page: http://www.wineworks.co.uk/product/f...rking-machine/

Any suggestions for any bargains for topping up to £46.01?

P.S. I have 2 of those wooden hammer them in corkers, and 3 twin lever corkers to finance thsi project.
                            Last edited by David; 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM.
                            My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              Dammit, I now need to find another 65p of expenditure to get my spend above the free shipping threshold!
                              A packet of yeast ?

Comment

Working...
                              X