Working out the SG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out the SG.

Wonder if someone can work something out for me, as i don't know how to..

I had just under 1/2 a gallon of apple wine, left over from racking 3 gallons,,, which started out at SG1090 and finished at SG992,(Alc 13%), i made this up to a full gallon with apple juice and added sugar to SG1050.
    Is there a way to work out how strong this will be and if i need to add more sugar??

Thanks...
    Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Its a bit late, for me to work this out...
    And I would probably have to ask an adult to help anyway, when its not too late

But does THIS help?

I used the "Adjusted Alcohol" part of this calculator, at the bottom, when working out my port %

Are you letting this continue on fermenting ? Or leaving as 1.050 ?
    Last edited by spritzer; 29-12-2010, 12:41 AM.
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Thanks Spritzer.

I intend to let it ferment out as far as it will go (dry),,and to hopefully add some dried elderflowers once it's dropped a bit..

Comment

These figures are not 100% accurate but a close guesstimate

1/2 gal at 13% diluted to 1 gal by 1/2 gal with no alc in it (yet)

gives approx 6.5%

the must now contains sugar at 1.050......

if this ferments to dry, you will get to around 13% again....perhaps 14%....(more likely will peter out around 10 to 11% with a bit of sugar left)

What yeast did you use?

it may have reached its alc tolerance already on the first rise to 13%...however it may be fine.

hope that helps
        regards
        Bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 29-12-2010, 08:43 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thats brilliant, thanks Bob.

It looks like i kind of had a lucky quess when adding the sugar!!

The yeast i used was Youngs super yeast compound. I added this after i mixed the apple juice to the wine,, i guess its roughly the same as if it would have been a stuck ferment,, doing the 50/50 mix with new yeast??
          So it might ferment out to dry then hopefully...

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by waggoner View Post
            The yeast i used was Youngs super yeast compound.
            Its taken me almost 3 years to stop using the above yeast. Its fine for your average rough cheap cider brew but the sachets of yeast (vintners, gervin etc etc) are far far superior and will do great justice to your ingredients.

Trust me on this one, the sachets of yeast for £1 ish at your HBS will run rings round the general purpose yeast. My wines are far far superior to what I used to make with that yeast. If your unsure, do a side by side comparison and see for yourself.

Comment

Good advice!
              Steve

Comment

Thanks, yes, i normally use Gervins or Lalvins but i seen the Young's super one and thought i would give it a try. i'LL just use it up now, don't think i will bother with it again,,will stick to either the Gervins or Lalvins.

Comment

Working...
                X