Christmas Pudding Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Pudding Wine

I just can't stand it any longer. I am an American expat living in Costa Rica and have been following your posts regarding Christmas pudding and Christmas pudding wine. Just what is this? I feel like I'm missing out on something good.

Originally posted by Wiz View Post
    I just can't stand it any longer. I am an American expat living in Costa Rica and have been following your posts regarding Christmas pudding and Christmas pudding wine. Just what is this? I feel like I'm missing out on something good.
    Well you'd have to understand "christmas pudding" first.

Crimbo pud is a very rich, heavily textured, spiced (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and stuff like that), steamed pudding i.e. flour, sugar, many different dried and glace fruits, some dark beer (traditionally something like a dark stout), eggs, etc etc....... (some further info here)

Of course, if you make your own wines anyway, you'll understand the basic techniques and also a few other points.

Some of the others would have to explain what it tastes like, I haven't got round to making it yet.

I'm sure it's a bit messy to make as the fats and flour in the crimbo pud would make a mess, but getting to the sugars, fruit flavours and spices, do, IMO, make it sound like it's gonna be a rich flavoured wine......

And yes, it would be considered a weird ingredient.......

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Wiz View Post
      As an American who recently tried Christmas pudding for the first time, I'd describe it this way... imagine if you were to take American style Christmas fruit cake (the kind drenched in booze with all the spices and candied fruit), and then steam it to make the texture more palatable. That's kind of what it's like. We had it with a rum/cream sauce. It was actually pretty good.

I haven't made the wine yet, so I can't comment on that aspect.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

I haven't made the wine yet, so I can't comment on that aspect.
        Are you going to have a dabble?

Comment

Actually, Christmas pudding sounds pretty delicious. I remember when I was a little guy that my parents were friends with a couple from Boston. They always invited us to eat Christmas dinner with them and always served plum pudding for desert which if I remember correctly was steamed in cheese cloth and served with what was called a hard sauce with brandy in it.

Comment

If you liked the plum pudding, then you will like Christmas pudding

I still haven't gotten round to making a batch of this wine.
            Maybe this year I will get a gallon on the go.... I have the puds ready and waiting
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I just made a gallon batch up yesterday,, 1/2 price puddings, so got to be done,, smells beautiful,,But looks terrible!!
              Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                Are you going to have a dabble?
                Quite possibly, though Christmas pudding is a little hard to come by as an ingredient over here. I may just try to come up with some fortified variation that uses all the spices, raisins, and candied fruit, without actually using the pudding itself. If you were to fortify it with dark rum, I think you could come close to reproducing the flavor.
                Last edited by NorthernWiner; 04-01-2011, 05:36 AM.
                Steve

Comment

It looks like vomit during the early stages of fermentation..... but worry not...it makes a delicious wine

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

What's taking you so long, Steve?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                      Quite possibly, though Christmas pudding is a little hard to come by as an ingredient over here. -----%<-----
                      Hum? Ok, so what about........

or

or even
                      http://uktv.co.uk/food/homepage/sid/5918 (this one should link to multiple recipes)

So, make yer own...... then you can make enough to brew with and some to eat

regards

jtfb

p.s. Or better still, how about this http://www.igourmet.com/christmas-pudding.asp when they're in stock of course....
                      Last edited by fatbloke; 05-01-2011, 10:00 PM.
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by waggoner View Post
                        I just made a gallon batch up yesterday,, 1/2 price puddings, so got to be done,, smells beautiful,,But looks terrible!!
                        Me too, couldnt resist when i found the post for making it,
                        Made it up last night,Been in the bucket for 12hrs now and has achieved a good head, Will investigate this evening and start adding more sugar.

Smells lovely
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-01-2011, 09:49 AM. Reason: To make image display

Comment

Hi Pincher, and happy first post!

I edited the link to make the picture display.

You wont be diossapointed with this wine, it will improvve greatly with age too.

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Many thanks Bob,

What sort of ageing period will it need once clear ?

Thanks Dave

Comment

couple of hours
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X